Solved: Good luck--dealing with an estate is stressful.  N...

Can you help me get access to my sister-in-laws turbo tax account so I can complete her 2016 return before Oct. 15th she passed away and I am the trustee of her estate?

My sister in law passed away before she completed her return. She uses turbo tax. Can you help me get access to her account so we can complete her return before Oct. 15 and so we have access to her prior information for completing her return.

Moderator

Hello @nardit1, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I understand that this may seem like a lot to get into an account but we must take all due precaution to ensure the protection, privacy, and security of customer account information. We wish to make sure that the data your sister-in-law entrusted us with is protected. 

You will first need to fill out an Email Change Request: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899319 
In addition to your own photo ID, you must include one of the following documents: 

• A copy of the Death Certificate – The name of the surviving spouse will need to be matched to a Joint E-filed Return in our system

• A court order issuing Power of Attorney for the deceased and IRS form 56(required for non spouse)

• A court order marking them the executor of the estate and IRS form 56(required for non spouse)

These additional documents may be included with the initial scan of the Photo ID.

You will also need to print and mail the return and include IRS Form 56. 

I hope this helps! 

Moderator

I hope this helps! 

Thank you, This is the information I needed.
Moderator

You're welcome!
Thank you SuperUsers 🙂

Nope ... if you don't have the userID & Password you cannot access the return in progress ... so just start the return over in a new account. 

Maybe try searching using SIL's SSN?

Thanks for trying but I need access to her prior return for information to be able to complete the current return. She didn't have an easy estate. I don't think I would ever use turbo tax- I can't believe you can't talk to a turbo tax representative!

How to Contact Customer Service        <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5566005">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5566005</a>

They are available Monday-Friday from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time.

I tried that earlier. Doesn't work unless you have the paid version which my SIL does but I can't get access to without their help! Ugh!!

How about starting her return over in a paid account so that you can get to customer support.  You could even use Free Edition and pay $29.99 for PLUS--aggravating, but perhaps worth it to get to support.

That's a good idea, and maybe under the circumstances they would reverse the charge. Thanks!!

Good luck--dealing with an estate is stressful.  No promises that customer support will be able to help you get into her account if you do not have some of the crucial information like an account or SSN.

Thanks! I know it won't be fun for sure! I do have her SSN so we shall see how it goes.

Post back and let us know if you are able to get the information you need to complete her return.