Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Getting error 70001 "TurboTax is already running under another account. Switch users and run ..." ???? No one to call for help anymore!!!!

Originally you said that the program was running under another user account and to switch to that account. If you have more than one user account on your OS and the program is running under user A then if you also try to open it under user B you will get such an error. Go to user A to close the running program or just use it under user A.
pc7
Level 2

Getting error 70001 "TurboTax is already running under another account. Switch users and run ..." ???? No one to call for help anymore!!!!

I'm seeing the same defect "TurboTax is already running under another account", when there is no other user.   I'm running win10 home, 64bit , v1803, build "17134" "1069", attempting to install/run standalone TT2019premiere

Tried running TT as admin, same error.

I also had TT2018 installed(always ran fine), so, thinking that may be confusing TT2019, I uninstalled both it and TT2019.  I also manually removed TT remnants in C:\ProgramData\Intuit , C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax, and  {user}\AppData\Local\Temp\ . Did a full shutdown (and tried intuit's recommendation to also shutdown/reboot  the router, etc.).  Starting from a clean reboot, I reinstalled TT2019.  Same error "TurboTax is already running under another account".  There is no other windows account logged in let alone running anything. (there is however a Cygwin instance running separately). This is clearly not a "spontaneous connectivity issue".

Looking at content in the session log file ( {user}\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\TurboTax\TY19\ErrorLog\ ) , it includes this info:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

2019.41.1.24 ERROR TurboTax -
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Access is denied
at System.Diagnostics.ProcessManager.OpenProcess(Int32 processId, Int32 access, Boolean throwIfExited)
at System.Diagnostics.NtProcessManager.GetModuleInfos(Int32 processId, Boolean firstModuleOnly)
at System.Diagnostics.NtProcessManager.GetFirstModuleInfo(Int32 processId)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.get_MainModule()
at TurboTax.SingleInstance.ActivateOriginalInstance()

2019.41.1.24 INFO TurboTax -
SingleInstance.ActivateOriginalInstance assuming that we are already running as another user

and here're some possibly relevant excerpts from C:\ProgramData\Intuit\TurboTax\MSI\TY19\Logs\20191205_TTINSTALLER.log :

.NET 4.5.2 Full is already installed
FixupMsiexec1719():: WriteRegistryValue(MSIEXECCA64NAME) failed.
Not running action 'Files - .NET Framework 4.5.2 (64-bit)' for product '.NET Framework 4.5.2' because the OS condition does not match

I'm thinking TT might be confused by the Cygwin installation that's also running on this system, or maybe it's a windows update conflict.

So I tried installing on another similar system that does not have Cygwin, and there was no error, it initiated normally, did updates, and proceeded to the activation key entry (which I did not do because I want to run TT on the other intended system, not a sandbox).

Would be interested to hear what Intuit support would have to say about this, particularly the Win32Exception (0x80004005).

pc7
Level 2

SOLVED.

The cause was a pending windows update that resolved this issue.  I had to manually update Windows to v1909, os build [18363][535].  After that, I was able to launch TT2019 without error.

I have exactly the same experience.  Wasted three hours installing CD (business edition), did not work, then tried online downloading option,got the error message, restarted PC a few times, shut off all protection (VPN, anti-virus etc), no help.  Just found out I could not open old tax files (same error message).  I may need to try install on a different PC.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If the issue doesn't resolve on its own, close TurboTax, restart your computer, and reopen TurboTax.

If that doesn't solve your problem:

1. Make sure you aren't on a work computer. (Most work computers have a strong security firewall that can blocking TurboTax from accessing the Internet.)
  2. Check your firewall (like Windows Defender, Bitdefender, or AVG). Make sure it's not blocking TurboTax from accessing the internet.
  3. Run TurboTax as an administrator.
  4. Ensure TurboTax is up-to-date.

To reset your Internet connection:

1. Turn off your computer, your router, and your cable modem, in that order.
  2. Wait a minute, then turn your modem back on.
  3. Wait another minute, then turn your router back on.
  4. Once your router is back up, turn your computer back on and try logging in again.

Also please be sure your computer is up to date and does not have any updates pending. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This link must be old -- it doesn't connect to anything

how do i correct error 70001

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for assistance with Error Code 70001:

Error Code 70001 when using TurboTax Desktop

For further assistance, you can call TurboTax and speak with an agent.  TurboTax customer service/support does not have a single phone number but has many different phone numbers based on the type of platform used.  So that we can direct your call to the best person/department to help you:

1. Click on this link: Contact Us
  2. Select your TurboTax platform.  
  3. Ask your question / state your problem.  Do NOT use the word "refund' or you will get a phone number for tax refunds.
  4. Click Submit.
  5. On the next screen, choose the Call option and follow the instructions.  You will be given the approximate wait time.  

You'll get a toll-free number to a TurboTax expert who is specially-trained to handle your particular issue.

"Irene2805 Employee Tax Expert"

AHelper
Expert Alumni

Some of the Causes of the Error 70001

• Registry errors generally happen when new programs are installed over the old ones – that need to be uninstalled before installing the new ones.
  • Another cause of these error messages can come due to the incompatible programs running at the same time.

Troubleshooting Methods to Fix TurboTax Error 70001

Method 1: Uninstall the Programs

• First, open the Task Manager by entering ctrl-Alt-Del at the same time.
  • Next click on the Task Manager tab. This will let you see the list of programs currently running in your system.
  • Go to the Details tab, you will see the list of programs running. Now, stop the programs one by one.
  • Once you get identified which program is causing the error, follow the next step.
  • Now, uninstall the program causing error message by going into the control panel and uninstall it. 

Method 2: Update Your Virus Protection Tool

• Virus infection causing the runtime error on your system must be eliminated immediately.
  • Make sure, you update your virus program and scan your computer right away.

Method 3: Re-install Runtime Libraries

• Uninstall the MS Visual C++ package by going to Programs and Features.
  • Click Uninstall on the top list, and when it is over, restart your system.
  • Now, download the latest redistributable package from Microsoft and install it.

After following the above methods, your issue with the error code will be resolved.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/software-problem-upon-start-up-i-try-to-open-and-...

RobCartyEsq
Returning Member

The fixes prescribed on the Intuit web page (quoted by several people above) were worthless for me (and apparently many other folks as well).  I had already spent hours doing my return; but when I went to file it the next morning, I got a 70001 error and was basically stuck.  After two calls with tech support, I was no better off.  The ONLY thing that enabled me to get my return filed was installing TurboTax on another machine and copying my tax file over to that machine.  That machine doesn't belong to me, so it's a temporary band-aid because I have to delete it from that machine and I still can't use it on my machine.  This is something tech support never bothered to suggest; maybe it will work for you.  Next year, I'm switching to another software package after decades of using TurboTax.  This is insane.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Your post has been forwarded to product support.

Thanks for the post which I did find online.  It did not help my 70001 error.  

I got the 70001 error message in april 2020. I followed the previous instructions by rebooting my PC. After 2 attempts, it worked and I was able to get to my returns.

Both TT business and TT home and business then went straight to updates. They both updated correctly and I was able to continue my returns.

Don't give up hope, I think you will be able to get it to work, it only took 20 minutes to get back up and running.

I tried many (but not all) of the solutions mentioned here to no avail. What worked for me was to open Task Manager, find the listed TT program, highlight it and press "end task" to close it. I had to do that 3 times after restarting my laptop.

Every year I have had this problem. Sometimes I get the 70001 error several times a day. I like to work this years taxes with last year's program open. Saves me time on data input for example. That (sometimes?) gives me the 70001 error.

This problem is so (expletive deleted) frustrating! Like others I waste hours. Some  pick up and go with H&R Block or equal. I love TT so I am going to stick it out. However, "This is no way to run an airline"!

Likewise with TT I was a loyal Continental customer. I really did not want to switch to Southwest Airlines!

Greetings;

Big Lou

gjmartin

Actually, there IS a customer support line.  It's just very hard to find the phone number.

Once I found the number, the queue was 40 minutes long; they called me back in 40 minutes.

The fix is to uninstall the software then reinstall it.  Takes a while and you have to restart your machine but it fixed it. I was very relieved to find that all of my data was still there (NOTE: SAVE your data periodically while working on your return.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies