turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing Error when Uncommon situation applies to form 1098

I am using TurboTax Deluxe online, and I am unable to get past the Federal section of my taxes unless i enter some information that makes no sense. The message asking for review of my application states the following:

"Tax and Interest Deduction Worksheet: Limit Int/points on 1098 should not be greater than -XXX.XXX, the total interest and points reported on Form 1098." 

And asks to enter value for field  "Limit Int/points on 1098:"

I was able to find some community posts related to this problem, but those solutions did not address my problem.

Any Solutions? Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I did, but the representative was no help. I was told they they only do things like help users with the usability of the system through the screen sharing. No way for them to determine if it is software bug or not. 

For people encountering this problem, the solution i was able to find is to enter the exact same negative value that the prompt says you cannot have a greater number than. This will get you past the prompt and won't pop up again, but if you are itemizing deductions you will most likely still have a problem when filing(because the issue dealt with a field in Schedule A).  In my case i was taking the standard deduction, so no need for Schedule A form on my final filing.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
NashayLO
Intuit Alumni

Are you entering multiple 1098s? Please follow these steps to enter your mortgage info: What do I do if I have multiple 1098s from refinan...

Also, you can contact us by phone for further assistance, Customer support phone number - TurboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No, just one 1098.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

You can contact us by phone for further assistance, Customer support phone number - TurboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did, but the representative was no help. I was told they they only do things like help users with the usability of the system through the screen sharing. No way for them to determine if it is software bug or not. 

For people encountering this problem, the solution i was able to find is to enter the exact same negative value that the prompt says you cannot have a greater number than. This will get you past the prompt and won't pop up again, but if you are itemizing deductions you will most likely still have a problem when filing(because the issue dealt with a field in Schedule A).  In my case i was taking the standard deduction, so no need for Schedule A form on my final filing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies