turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mcgway534-p3
Returning Member

How do I Open my 2018 return on the second computer?

I competed my 2018 return and state on one of my laptops.  Load my TurboTax 2018 Premier on "second laptop to take on trip to review before efiling.  I save the 2018 return file on a flashdrive.  Now trying to open the return on the second laptop.  Can't not Open my 2018 Fed/State return on second laptop.  Get a Fail To Transfer warning.  I read TurboTax trouble shooting and one solution is download the state.  Makes sense since my 2018 return has the state completed.  My problem is can't find how to download state on the second laptop without starting a new return.   The download state option will not show up unless I start a new return.  Tried that and it ask me to pay, but the Premier has a free state. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

This response is from a 2015 post, but should still be applicable and work for you.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4843318

Failed to Transfer?  You should not be trying to transfer.  Thatnis to transfer a 2017 return into a new return.  And did you first copy the file from the flash drive to the laptop?

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to File-New Tax Return).

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901474-move-your-tax-return-to-a-different-computer
Manage cookies