Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Efile rejected due to /Return/ReturnData/IRS1116/ResidenceForeignCountryCd - Data in the return is missing or invalid.

When I tried to file my return it was rejected with the following error: 

/Return/ReturnData/IRS1116/ResidenceForeignCountryCd

- Data in the return is missing or invalid. Please double check your entries.

There is NO error code provided.

Turbotax itself doesn't find any errors and I have reviewed the 1116 Forms and they appear OK. 

Does anyone know what this error means and how I can correct it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Efile rejected due to /Return/ReturnData/IRS1116/ResidenceForeignCountryCd - Data in the return is missing or invalid.

Update:

Still no direct feedback from technical support. 
Attempted to file again after this week’s software update- same IRS rejection. 

Filed for an extension and paid taxes due. 

I will continue to press TT (ver: Desktop/H&B/Mac) to correct this issue for multiple reasons:

1. The 100% accuracy guarantee is meaningless if  the efile is corrupted in some way.  
  2. I have already paid for this service and I doubt there is a refund process. 

3. My return (includes 2 states) for various reasons when printed is almost 300 pages. I very much prefer to efile!

While using TT is very helpful in completing our annual filing it is also true that every year there are technical issues that impact completion and filing. Perhaps this is to be expected given the admitted complexity of the underlying data and tax rules.

Regardless, limited technical status information / transparency, reliance on community to help problem solve and tendency to treat most issues as a tax and not technical problems leaves many of us users in limbo, hoping that TT might acknowledge there is a problem and wondering if there will in fact be a future solution. 

I would suggest / recommend that TT maintain a live public facing “known issues / planned corrections” page. I believe the phone support team has access to some technical problem/status info but it is not sufficient. Even straightforward questions such as where does the “Residence ForeignCountryCd” data element appear in the Form1116 is too hard to answer today. 

Lastly, the help search results could really be improved by the addition of filters that control the scope for time period, form, and product. Regardless of how I query/filter there are too many irrelevant returns. When looking to see if others are having an issue, say with form1116/Residence ForeignCountryCd using the desktop Mac product I really don’t want to see results from four years ago or the online product, or at least that should be a choice. 

View solution in original post

18 Replies

I'm seeing the same issue. I started another thread about it on Saturday, but no responses yet: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/return-rejected-due-to-form-1116-residenceforeign...

We have the same issue. Any resolution?

We are talking to TT customer support (TTCS) - they are not finding any know issues.

TTCS is not able to identify "ResidenceForeignCountryCd" data field in IRS1116.

Asking TTCS to report issue.

Obvious issue - "TT no error review" does not catch IRS error, i.e., not 100% accurate.

It may be that the error is in the data packaging for submission.

I haven't found a resolution and I have mailed my taxes by recorded delivery back to the US.  This particular form has been very problematic for TT for a number of years. 

Agreed, IRS1116 is always "fun" to fill out. 

I believe, however, this is a technical issue, not a tax issue.

It is frustrating that the error message is ambiguous and there is no quick answer from TT as to where this "bad" data is located in the form - i.e., it does not appear to be for my country of residence (USA) or the countries where I have paid foreign taxes (chosen from a pick list).

I was able to escalate the issue to senior TT Support. 

No resolution yet, but;

• I have a support case # - I don't know if you can access this case  
    •  Intuit TurboTax Case #[phone number removed]    [ ref:_00DE0a8TL._5001K17uqKN:ref ]
  • will receive updates on technical progress.

I am still expecting TT to correct this issue so I can successfully efile. 

I can't access the reference number, but appreciate your information.  I agree it looks like a TT issue. My country of residence is the UK which is fine. I hope they resolve this for you and would appreciate feedback if they do. Even international couriers are still experiencing delays in deliveries, which is why I decided for the non stress option. I hope this gets solved for you!

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

You should have received an email with your rejection code. @Fran9

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I received an email, but there was no code only the message which I have posted.

prokeds

I had this happen to me as well. After several attempts to correct the error and re-file electronically, only to be rejected again, and after reading this thread, I decided to just file my return by mail, as frustrating as that is. Maybe this can be fixed by next year....

Katina S
Intuit Alumni

We apologize for the inconvenience, please contact us at customer support so we can further assist you.

@Fran9 @StephenK @EMCRICA @prokeds

Thanks @Katina S . I tried calling support. I walked the agent through my problem, and he said he'd have to transfer me to technical support. Then, I talked to a robot who tried to sell me TurboTax Live for an extra $80. When I declined, it hung up on me.

I don't need someone to walk me though how to complete my return. This is an Intuit software problem. Can I not get support without paying an additional $80?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

To get the live support it would require you to upgrade. However as long as you are using any paid version of Turbo Tax you can receive the one on one support that technical assistance can provide. I would suggest trying to call back and asking direct for technical support. @StephenK

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I've checked all copies of my 1116 forms and all have my country of residence in place.  Turbotax bug, now I will have to print everything out and have to pay again at the Post Office for transmission because of Turbotax negligence in maintaining their software.

Thank you TurboTax, I received an email with no error code.  It just lead me back to this page.

Update:

Still no direct feedback from technical support. 
Attempted to file again after this week’s software update- same IRS rejection. 

Filed for an extension and paid taxes due. 

I will continue to press TT (ver: Desktop/H&B/Mac) to correct this issue for multiple reasons:

1. The 100% accuracy guarantee is meaningless if  the efile is corrupted in some way.  
  2. I have already paid for this service and I doubt there is a refund process. 

3. My return (includes 2 states) for various reasons when printed is almost 300 pages. I very much prefer to efile!

While using TT is very helpful in completing our annual filing it is also true that every year there are technical issues that impact completion and filing. Perhaps this is to be expected given the admitted complexity of the underlying data and tax rules.

Regardless, limited technical status information / transparency, reliance on community to help problem solve and tendency to treat most issues as a tax and not technical problems leaves many of us users in limbo, hoping that TT might acknowledge there is a problem and wondering if there will in fact be a future solution. 

I would suggest / recommend that TT maintain a live public facing “known issues / planned corrections” page. I believe the phone support team has access to some technical problem/status info but it is not sufficient. Even straightforward questions such as where does the “Residence ForeignCountryCd” data element appear in the Form1116 is too hard to answer today. 

Lastly, the help search results could really be improved by the addition of filters that control the scope for time period, form, and product. Regardless of how I query/filter there are too many irrelevant returns. When looking to see if others are having an issue, say with form1116/Residence ForeignCountryCd using the desktop Mac product I really don’t want to see results from four years ago or the online product, or at least that should be a choice. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies