Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Return rejected due to Form 1116 ResidenceForeignCountryCd

My federal return was rejected with the message "/Return/ReturnData/IRS1116/ResidenceForeignCountryCd - Data in the return is missing or invalid".

In TurboTax, it advices me to "go to the Deductions & Credits Tab. Navigate to the menu heading Estimates and Other Taxes Paid, and select Foreign Taxes. Proceed to answer all the questions in the Foreign Taxes topic."

I did so, but there are no questions about my residence country. In the PDF printout of my return, I can see that my return has seven Form 1116s, all of which have line h ("Resident of (name of country)") set to "USA", which is indeed where I live.

Is this a bug? Is there something I can do to work around it without filing a paper return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
prokeds

I had the same error, and got tired of trying to figure out how to fix it to be able to file electronically, so I just decided to print and file by mail, as annoying as that is. Will try again next year...

chasam1975
Returning Member

I am having the same issue and I have tried all of the available options - i.e., RIC, Other Countries & Various, but to No Avail.  Why?  I don't want to have my Federal and/or State of Michigan rejected and NOT be able to E-file both Federal and State Returns.  HELP!!!  - Sam E.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

It would be best if you are still experiencing the same issue, to follow the instructions here to contact us by phone so we can better assist you. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies