Solved: Do I have to re-buy TurboTax every year?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to re-buy TurboTax every year?

I bought it last year and this year, it wants me to pay again. I'm not trying to be rude. I'm just asking.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

Yes...whether Desktop software, or Online Software, you have to purchase it every year.

Exception:  The Online "Free" version will let you file for Free ...for Federal & State early in the tax year...or with a state charge if you wait too long (sometime in late Feb or March).

BBBBBBUT !  The Online Free version can only be used with the very simplest of tax returns (1040EZ, 1040A)...no itemized deductions, no Self-employment income, no Brokerage or Mutual fund transactions.  And Online Free does not allow you access to your prior-year tax files unless you pay ($30 this year).

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Returning Member

who do i ask because the same thing happened to me.  I paid $54.99 for fed and state download for 2017....now they just say i'm out of luck... and keep my money no credit nothing??
Level 15

Not sure what you are asking...but Customer Support is here..they're pretty busy today..

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number">https://ttlc.intuit.com...>
Level 15

Yes...whether Desktop software, or Online Software, you have to purchase it every year.

Exception:  The Online "Free" version will let you file for Free ...for Federal & State early in the tax year...or with a state charge if you wait too long (sometime in late Feb or March).

BBBBBBUT !  The Online Free version can only be used with the very simplest of tax returns (1040EZ, 1040A)...no itemized deductions, no Self-employment income, no Brokerage or Mutual fund transactions.  And Online Free does not allow you access to your prior-year tax files unless you pay ($30 this year).

View solution in original post

yes.

Yes, You have to buy it every year it changes so often... Even if you have it downloaded or have the CD it will need to be updated. it sucks but its taxes constant changes.

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings