guitar-picker

Do I have to keep all prior versions (years) of TurboTax installed on my PC or can I just keep the latest version?

Will all 'latest' versions (years) of TurboTax be always able to open all prior year TurboTax files, or do I have to keep all prior program versions installed, forever, on my PC?
PaulaM

Yes, you can uninstall your previous years TurboTax software. If you have purchase your software directly from TurboTax, then you would still be able to download your software for up to three years past the year of the software, by signing into MyTurboTax.com.

Save all *.tax20YY files and it would be a good idea to make pdf copies of your past returns just in case you need them to amend or IRS inquiry or audit. Many people at least 3 years saved for that purpose.  

guitar-picker

From this answer, i am guessing that not only should users archive copies of all their old TurboTax returns (ie, PDFs) but also the working TurboTax documents that generated those tax returns, AND they should keep all their past years' installation CDs so that if they ever need to open a prior year's TurboTax document for the purpose of changing anything, they should reinstall that year's version of TurboTax and only open it with that version.  Or maybe keep all years' versions installed, so that the tax tables for each individual year are retained intact.  Nothing on the CD packaging explains any of this.
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes.  but realize that if you were to upgrade your computer's operating system or even upgrade to a new computer, some of the older years of TT might not work or install.   however, most of the time you need only retain the last 3 years of tax records.  here's what the IRS says
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/how-long-should-i-keep-records">https:...>
goyanks

Wow!! Seriously? What? You guys don't do any regression testing? I don't think I've ever used a professional software app that couldn't open the files made from previous versions of the app. Are you developers drunk?

HUGE FAIL!!!

ddeleoxx

Totally agree with GoYanks comment.  I mean honestly, do I have to worry that Microsoft wants me to upgrade to windows 11 and if I do older versions of TurboTax might not work or new versions can't read my old filings.  That is ridiculous.   This is serious stuff and TurboTax seems to take it lightly or not their problem even though it's their product that fails to live up to real world tax needs.

amelliott

I just tried opening older versions of my tax returns in turbotax and it didn't work.  This is very unhelpful. Now I have to go to the library and see if I can open my cd where my taxes are saved and print out from there. 

MichelleLO

If your PC meets the minimum systems requirements, older versions of TurboTax should run and open. 

Minimum system requirements for TurboTax Windows software

@amelliott

amelliott

I don't use Windows. I use Mac. That said, I connected a drive to my computer and was able to access the pdf file. I tried opening several previous versions, however I couldn't open anything beyond 2017.

goyanks

Wow! Super unhelpful. Thanks MichelleLO for telling us to do exactly what we're saying do NOT want to do.

Cass0317

No, you do not have to keep previous years of TurboTax installed on your computer.  As long as you have your CD it can be reinstalled.  Or, if you purchased it from TurboTax and downloaded it to your computer, it can be downloaded again.

It is important that you keep your .tax20xx data files though.  These will be needed in order to access your prior year tax returns.

"AnnetteB Intuit Alumni"

@goyanks