turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to keep all prior versions (years) of TurboTax installed on my PC or can I just keep the latest version?

Will all 'latest' versions (years) of TurboTax be always able to open all prior year TurboTax files, or do I have to keep all prior program versions installed, forever, on my PC?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

35 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Do I have to keep all prior versions (years) of TurboTax installed on my PC or can I just keep the latest version?

Yes, you can uninstall your previous years TurboTax software. If you have purchase your software directly from TurboTax, then you would still be able to download your software for up to three years past the year of the software, by signing into MyTurboTax.com.

Save all *.tax20YY files and it would be a good idea to make pdf copies of your past returns just in case you need them to amend or IRS inquiry or audit. Many people at least 3 years saved for that purpose.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3332500

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

From this answer, i am guessing that not only should users archive copies of all their old TurboTax returns (ie, PDFs) but also the working TurboTax documents that generated those tax returns, AND they should keep all their past years' installation CDs so that if they ever need to open a prior year's TurboTax document for the purpose of changing anything, they should reinstall that year's version of TurboTax and only open it with that version.  Or maybe keep all years' versions installed, so that the tax tables for each individual year are retained intact.  Nothing on the CD packaging explains any of this.
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes.  but realize that if you were to upgrade your computer's operating system or even upgrade to a new computer, some of the older years of TT might not work or install.   however, most of the time you need only retain the last 3 years of tax records.  here's what the IRS says
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/how-long-should-i-keep-records">https:...>

Wow!! Seriously? What? You guys don't do any regression testing? I don't think I've ever used a professional software app that couldn't open the files made from previous versions of the app. Are you developers drunk?

HUGE FAIL!!!

Totally agree with GoYanks comment.  I mean honestly, do I have to worry that Microsoft wants me to upgrade to windows 11 and if I do older versions of TurboTax might not work or new versions can't read my old filings.  That is ridiculous.   This is serious stuff and TurboTax seems to take it lightly or not their problem even though it's their product that fails to live up to real world tax needs.

amelliott
Returning Member

I just tried opening older versions of my tax returns in turbotax and it didn't work.  This is very unhelpful. Now I have to go to the library and see if I can open my cd where my taxes are saved and print out from there. 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

If your PC meets the minimum systems requirements, older versions of TurboTax should run and open. 

Minimum system requirements for TurboTax Windows software

@amelliott

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
amelliott
Returning Member

I don't use Windows. I use Mac. That said, I connected a drive to my computer and was able to access the pdf file. I tried opening several previous versions, however I couldn't open anything beyond 2017.

Wow! Super unhelpful. Thanks MichelleLO for telling us to do exactly what we're saying do NOT want to do.

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

No, you do not have to keep previous years of TurboTax installed on your computer.  As long as you have your CD it can be reinstalled.  Or, if you purchased it from TurboTax and downloaded it to your computer, it can be downloaded again.

It is important that you keep your .tax20xx data files though.  These will be needed in order to access your prior year tax returns.

"AnnetteB Intuit Alumni"

@goyanks

To file my 2022 taxes involving rental properties with depreciation, do I need the Turbo Tax programs for all prior years installed on my new computer or just the 2021 program and the new 2022 program? I do have PDF files but I can't locate my 2020 CD. Still have access to my old computer but only for a short time as I'm retiring soon and was using my work computer to file my taxes all these years.

@ShirleyP61 

You only need the 2022 tax program and your 2021 tax return data file.  You don’t need the actual 2021 tax application.  Your tax data file is usually found in your Documents folder and has a name something like “John Smith 2021.tax2021”. 

If you don’t have the 2021 data file, you can still prepare your 2022 return but you will have to manually enter your depreciation information using the 2021 tax return and worksheets, which you should have printed or saved backup copies of.  

Make sure that you have a copy of all tax returns you have filed using your work computer.  If at a later date, you have to a previous year software, prior to what you have, you should be able to find or access what you might need from Turbo Tax.. but you must have copies of all tax returned filed, just not previous software other than what you have.

Cannot believe how many so-called "Experts" are completely missing the point on this. The user wants to know if they can open any tax year file with a different year version of the software (open 2020 TT return file with TT 2018 software). 

The short answer is No. You cannot. The TT developers haven't figured out how the simple feature of "backwards compatibility" works. You're just going to have to store the software and keys for every single effing version of TT you own. Sorry.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies