turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lwes892

Did anyone else receive a fee from "VPS Tax Service" on their credit card after paying their taxes through Turbotax and why wasn't the fee stated at the time fo payment?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Did anyone else receive a fee from "VPS Tax Service" on their credit card after paying their taxes through Turbotax and why wasn't the fee stated at the time fo payment?

When you pay your federal tax using a credit or debit card:

https://www.irs.gov/payments/pay-taxes-by-credit-or-debit-card

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

48 Replies

When you pay your federal tax using a credit or debit card:

https://www.irs.gov/payments/pay-taxes-by-credit-or-debit-card

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

When you use a card to make a purchase from a store or online, the merchant pays the credit card co's processing fee (which is usually a percentage of the purchase amount).  However, the IRS is forbidden by law to pay this, so the fee must be charged to you.
j-lfrack

Yes, this totally blindsided me too. If I had seen the charge, I never would have paid with my card. They have enough of my money already.

s2

same here. Why was there no notice that an additional fee would be charged.
Would absolutely have used a debit card instead. This is a disgrace - will not be using turbotax again.
Jazzieadams1
Returning Member

I want to know if I'm getting a card throw turbo taxes

Hklbrry

Yeah this is BS. I could have easily paid with money in the bank.  I will be disputing the charge since it was not mentioned ahead of time.  Last time using turbo tax. 

Same here. I attempted to dispute the charge with Turbotax and the customer service rep refused.  Insisted it was not their charge, that it was an IRS charge.  They take no responsibility to notify people when they select the credit card option there will be an additional fee. All they have to do is enter a message and make users click that they read it. It nearly doubled the cost to do my taxes.  Infuriating.  Last time ever I will use TurboTax.  

That is BS. You need to notify users that if they choose credit card they will be charged the VPS fee.  Failure to disclose that is on you, Turbotax.   

That is BS. You need to notify users that if they choose credit card they will be charged the VPS fee.  Failure to disclose that is on you, Turbotax.   

@Evie3752 wrote:

The Credit Card fees were displayed although they are at the bottom of the screen in small print.

A convenience fee of 2.49% of total amount you owe will be charged by our credit card service provider. There is a minimum convenience fee of $3.95 regardless of your IRS payment obligation..

Credit Card Fees.JPG

Ridiculous. $3.95 would have been acceptable.  You suckered me and many others.  Never will use Turbo again. 

joser1

Yes, it happened to me as well this year. This is total bull**bleep** because nowhere it says anything about this fee. I had to pay $621 for my taxes, then on top of that I get a fee charge of $15.46. Come on it's not like $621 came from a freaking magical tree. I want that $15.46 refunded back. Turbotax you all need to stop being so secretive and tell us the consumers what to expect. Also, your services are not free as you plainly keep posting but that is another story to boil someone's blood. Not happy at all.

@joser1 wrote:

Yes, it happened to me as well this year. This is total bull**bleep** because nowhere it says anything about this fee. I had to pay $621 for my taxes, then on top of that I get a fee charge of $15.46. Come on it's not like $621 came from a freaking magical tree. I want that $15.46 refunded back. Turbotax you all need to stop being so secretive and tell us the consumers what to expect. Also, your services are not free as you plainly keep posting but that is another story to boil someone's blood. Not happy at all.

The Credit Card fees were displayed although they are at the bottom of the screen in small print.

A convenience fee of 2.49% of total amount you owe will be charged by our credit card service provider. There is a minimum convenience fee of $3.95 regardless of your IRS payment obligation..

Credit Card Fees.JPG

joser1

Buddy, I had to pay the IRS $621 of my own hard earn money. Don't you think I should get a break from that fee? It is ridiculous I have to pay an extra $15.46 for paying that large sum of money to the government. I want a refund for that fee. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies