Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Desktop Turboxtax activation code not working (2019, 2020)

I recently upgraded to a new windows 11 computer.  I had desktop versions of Turbotax Premier on my old Windows 10 computer from 2016 through 2022. I have all CDs. I was able to install 2022, 2021 on my new computer. For 2020 and 2019 the activation code from the CD box is not working - even though I was even able to create a download link for 2019 version with my login. Multiple attempts and activation code just does not work.  I looked up online and there are multiple threads about this problem and no good solution.  If anyone have a good solution, please let me know. Thank you. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Is there a reason why you need all the programs installed?  Even if you get 2019 installed you won't be able to update it or download any state programs you used.  

Your returns are not in the program but in separate files.  You only need the file ending in .tax2022 to transfer into 2023.

Your tax files end in .tax or .tax2017, .tax2018 or .tax2019 or .tax2020 etc.  They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.  You should also have the pdf files of each year.  Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax.  Also if you haven't done it,  I would open each year in the program and save it as a PDF file, go to File-Save to PDF so you don't need the program installed to view or print your return in the future like to get a mortgage or loan, etc.

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents.  That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored.  Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them.   Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

I do not have any immediate need to use the software. But I do have all my turbotax files and PDF copies of tax returns.  But I can't open any of the .tax files w/o active software. 

You do not need TurboTax to open the pdf file.  Use Adobe Acrobat to open pdf files or any other pdf reader software .

@tksprabu 

The 2020 should work, unless TTX software folks are messing with the code acceptance system.......though, I guess it may not work if you've already had 5 installs.  I installed 2020 on a new desktop last week. Give TTX a call (Mon-Fri only) and see what they say...maybe they'll give you a new code.

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

As for 2019, the code acceptance system for that year may be turned off since they don't support 2019 anymore.   It was the first year with those installation codes.    I couldn't install 2019 either, but then, I didn't expect to have it work.   Earlier years may install OK, but you likely can't download any state software needed to open old files.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

This thread has been removed. 🙁

DeePaw

TKSPRABU, My 2020 code did work.  I called TT about 2019 not loading with the license code.  They no longer support 2019, so when your software tries to verify against their database it cannot find it and you get error code: 630.  Hope you saved a .PDF for that year.  Hope this helps.

Funny, my 2019 code worked at InstallTurboTax.com, where Intuit says "Enter your license code to confirm your purchase and retrieve your download."  Intuit accepted the code from the CD box then and gave me the 2019 software to download.  However, when the software asked for the *exact same code*, the code is now rejected and the software is useless.  

Clearly they have the codes still saved in their computer system somewhere but they refuse to either (a) authorize re-installed software or (b) eliminate the need for an authorization code.  Instead they make their software useless. They intentionally "brick" it.

This is a reminder that one size does not fit all.  There is still a need for people to use TurboTax even if refunds are not possible (which is what the 3-year deadline is about).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies