turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CSF 1099R

while entering data in Turbo Tax I encountered a problem with the CSF 1099R.  Item 2a automatically populated the dollar figure from item 1.  My hard copy of form CSF 1099 R  has the word " UNKNOWN"  in item 2a. The system will not allow me to change this.  Is this a glitch? if yes, is there a way to work around it, if not, thank you for your assistance

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

CSF 1099R

You will need to delete the 1099-r form if it was downloaded and then manually enter the form. Please see this for more information: How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

11 Replies
JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

CSF 1099R

You will need to delete the 1099-r form if it was downloaded and then manually enter the form. Please see this for more information: How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?

CSF 1099R

The  intent of my question centered on whether the program itself is working properly.  I've loaded my CSF 1099R information into Turbo Tax from the CSF 1099R mailed to me. Item (1) Gross distribution ask for has a dollar amount which is filled in by me.  Item (2a) on my form has the word UNKNOWN printed in that space. Item (2a) in the program won't allow UNKNOWN to be written in item (2a), however  the program suggest that  this item be left blank, however, the program won't let you past this block unless information is entered.  So, the Turbo Tax program automatically enters the dollar amount from item (1) Gross distribution into item (2a).   For  clarity of the way this program operates should the Gross distribution dollar figure in item (1) actually be entered in item (2a) Taxable amount?   Thank you for your response

CSF 1099R

Thank you.   I did a little more digging and I  have the answer.  The program is ok and functioning the way it should.   I appreciate your attention in this matter.  Thanks!

Benji00

CSF 1099R

I have this exact same problem.  TurboTax is supposed to help me prepare my return.  The replies to this post skirt the issue.  HOW DO I Handle this 1099r?

1. The value in box 2a is "UNKNOWN"
  2. There is no box 2b on my form CSF1099R

How does Turbotax expect me to handle this?

1. Should the value in box 2a be the same as the value in box 1?
  2. Should I leave 2a blank and check box 2b (since 2a says unknown)
    1. If I do that what do I do with the screens it causes me to see
gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

CSF 1099R

You are correct to ask why your OPM survivor annuity isn't coming up as taxable.  In most cases, but not all, it is.

OPM survivor annuity 1099 R.  Take a look at box 9b - employee contributions.  This box dictates what amount of the withdrawal is taxable to you. 

Please be sure to enter OPM 1099-R as CSF1099-R (as a survivor) and not as a regular 1099-R. The program will guide you through questions on OPM distribution:

1. Federal Taxes

2. Wages & Income

3. Scroll down and select IRA, 401(k), Pension Plans. On the screen Tell Us Which 1099-R you Have please be sure to select  CSF-1099-R Civil Service survivor annuity. Select Continue and you will see automatically filled in information on OPM. Select Continue again and you will see Enter Annuity Information screen. You will be prompted to data entry and additional questions about your annuity. Please be sure to enter all information – including your contributions- exactly as it appears on the form. This will ensure proper calculation of the taxable amount.

Go here for a Q&A about the CSF1099R form.

Please refer to the following link for additional information:

Guide to Tax-free portion of Civil Service Survivor Benefits

IRS Publication 721

The reason there is no amount in box 2a is that it is unable to be determined by the issuer of the tax reporting document. 

Publication 721 describes in Part IV and Part V how to determine the taxable or tax-free portion of a Civil Service Survivor Annuity using certain criteria, the date of the annuitant retirement, and the amount of contributions the annuitant had previously used to reduce their taxable portion using the Simplified Method or other method based on the date of retirement.

CSF 1099R

Thank you for the explanation. My deceased husband used the Simplified Method each year to figure the tax on his CSA-1099Rs. He passed on 02/24/2020. As his survivor I continue to receive a monthly annuity. I received a CSF-1099R covering the last 10 months of 2020. Please tell me, on Worksheet A, Simplified Method, Line 1...is this the net amount deposited in my bank for all 10 months or the gross amount (Gross Distribution)?? 

Thanks for your help. 

CSF 1099R

Okay....I deleted my 1099R from TurboTax and made sure that I checked the box that said CSF 1099R but TurboTax STILL insists on auto filling Box 2a instead of leaving it blank.

Also, I am eligible to continue using the Simplified Method to figure my taxable amount (Box 9b shows $8054.00) because my deceased spouse also used this method but TurboTax will not let me put in the Gross Distribution amount into Box 1 under Simplified Method. Please.....I have spent three days on this and reviewed the last five years of our taxes (all done through TurboTax) and the Simplified Method was used each year. I know that my annuity “starting date” is the day after my husband died and because I am 73, my age factor is 160. 

CSF 1099R

Could you please help me? I have the same problem you asked about i.e. how to stop TurboTax from auto filling Box 2a on a CSF-1099R. My CSF also says UNKNOWN and I use the Simplified Method to figure the taxable amount. This whole auto fill problem is messing up my Simplified Form. Please explain whatever it was that you figured out when you posed your question.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

CSF 1099R

From JeanneLO:

CSF 1099R

My 94 year old mom has a Form CSF 1099R.  I filled in Box 1 with the Gross Distribution.  On her form, Box 2a (Taxable amount) says "Unknown".  I typed in the Gross distribution in Box 1 and when I click to the next box it puts that same amount as Gross Distribution. Her form says "UNKNOWN".  When I try to type that TurboTax has a pop-up window that says "Put a number".  How do I get around that?  Help please or she'll get really upset!!  Also, I manually entered this.

Cynthiad66
Employee Tax Expert

CSF 1099R

If it is not taxable then put $0.  If it is taxable then put the taxable amount.

Let's make sure you entered the form accurately first.

1. In the Search box type 1099-r (not csf-1099-r), then click the link that says "Jump to 1099-r."
  2. On the first screen, "Did you receive any 1099-R forms," select Yes and click Continue.
  3. On the next screen, select "I'll type it in myself" and click Continue.
  4. The next screen says "Tell Us Which 1099-R You Have." Select CSF-1099-R and click Continue.
  5. Proceed through the screens to enter the information from your Form CSF-1099-R.

If you entered the  form accurately it should translate into the program accurately.  Try entering it as if it is a new form before deleting the old entry.

@iamartin

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies