turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What does it mean when the IRS hasn't finalized one of my forms? Never had this before

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
4free2017

What does it mean when the IRS hasn't finalized one of my forms? Never had this before

Does this mean close the program or wait?

It means save and wait.

Congress just passed the final tax extender laws two weeks ago.  The IRS is still working on the final versions of any changed forms.   Simple forms (1040EZ) are ready now, but other forms like the 1040 are expected to be ready Jan7 or later..

You can see the scheduled release form dates here:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908854-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-federal-products-exc...

The IRS will not start accepting and processing returns until Jan 19 even if TurboTax accepts them earlier starting January 4th.  Sending your return to TurboTax before Jan 19 is not actually filing.

In addition, only some simple returns will be accepted since not all forms are finalized yet.

There is no advantage to file early since the return will just sit on the TurboTax server until the IRS is ready and you will not be able to add or change the return if you need to once you send it.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
franklin4500
Returning Member

Turbo Tax promoted me to file and I paid for my 2019 tax return. If you were not going to provide me with my 2019 return ,why did you prompt me to file early by sending me emails. I am mailing in my return later. I am not efiling, but I need it for my banker so I filed and did all of the work and paid for my 2019 return which I do not have. I am a loyal long time customer.

The IRS is not going to start accepting e-filed 2019 returns until at least January 27.  So you are not losing out on an early refund because you have not yet filed the return.   Many of the forms are not yet ready because either the IRS or your state have not yet finalized them and approved of the software that has the forms.  Click on Review to see which forms you are waiting for and when they are supposed to be ready.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-opens-2020-filing-season-for-individual-filers-on-jan-27

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

According to all your post, by now February 12, I should be able to file and yet it still tells me that they are finalizing some of my forms. I thought that the government had until January 31 to make sure that everything was ready by law, am I wrong?

@Daneen1970 wrote:

According to all your post, by now February 12, I should be able to file and yet it still tells me that they are finalizing some of my forms. I thought that the government had until January 31 to make sure that everything was ready by law, am I wrong?

There is no law that says the IRS must have all the current tax year forms and schedules finalized by January 31.

Click on Review.  The forms and schedules included in your tax return that have not yet been finalized will be listed along with the date available.

The review has no informations except it's all a go for Jan 27. 

A few years ago a late tax law delays some form until May (after the filing date) that required many taxpayers to have to file extensions to fine by October 15, and estimate and pay any tax die before April 15 anyway. 

(Note that Congress makes the law that is very legal language, the IRS is charged with making regulations to comply with that law.    IRS lawyers do that and the forms cannot be written until the regulations are complete.  When the IRS law has conflicts or is ambiguous in  parts then it can take a long time to resolve it.)

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies