Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

off-site community solar tax credit

on what form and line does one put the purchase price of a share (2%) of an OFF-site community solar project for a tax credit?

it is NOT form 5695, as that is for on-site fuel cell residential property tax credit.

it is NOT form 3800, as that is a general business credit, and I’m not a business.

it is NOT form 7207, as that is for manufacturers of solar energy components.

it is NOT schedule 3, part 1, line 5, form 5695, as that form is for on-site fuel cell residential property tax credit.

according to

https://www.energy.gov/eere/solar/homeowners-guide-federal-tax-credit-solar-photovoltaics

What is the federal solar tax credit?  The federal residential solar energy credit is a tax credit that can be claimed on federal income taxes for a percentage of the cost of a solar PV system paid for by the taxpayer. (Other types of renewable energy are also eligible for similar credits but are beyond the scope of this guidance.)  The installation of the system must be complete during the tax year.

In August 2022, Congress passed an extension of the ITC, raising it to 30% for the installation of which was between 2022-2032.  There is no maximum amount that can be claimed.

Am I eligible to claim the federal solar tax credit? You might be eligible for this tax credit if you meet the following criteria: ... Or, you purchased an interest in an off-site community solar project, if the electricity generated is credited against, and does not exceed, your home’s electricity consumption.

I PARTICIPATE IN AN OFF-SITE COMMUNITY SOLAR PROGRAM?

The answer depends heavily on your specific circumstances. The IRS states in Questions 25 and 26 in its Q&A on Tax Credits (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-13-70.pdf) that off-site solar panels or solar panels that are not directly on the taxpayer’s home could still qualify for the residential federal solar tax credit under some circumstances. However, community solar programs can be structured in various ways, and even if you are eligible for the tax credit, it may be difficult to claim due to other tax rules.

unfortunately, the above articles do not specify where on the schedule 1040, or schedule 1, or schedule 3, or some other irs form, that one lists the purchase price and deducts the 30% tax credit from the tax bill.

so, where does one put the purchase price of their share of the community OFF-site solar panel project, and the 30% solar tax credit on the tax form, which tax form and what line?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Andrew_W
Employee Tax Expert

Hi @vesta,

Form 5695 is the appropriate form for claiming the Residential Clean Energy Credit, and specifically Line 1 is for qualified solar electric property (up to 30% of the costs). There is not a specific or unique line or form for off-site community solar projects.

Assuming the off-site community solar project qualifies (this can vary based on the underlying structure of the community solar project), the credit would be claimed on form 5695.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

andrew_w, 

thank you for responding, however i believe your advice is wrong.

yes, line 1 of form 5695 is where the the qualified costs of the project are listed.

however, if you read the instructions, line 7a states "Was qualified fuel cell property installed on, or in connection with, your main home ..."

and line 7b asks for the "complete address of the main home where you installed the fuel cell property."

the solar cells are not at my home, and are not directly connected to my home.

it is a community solar project, installed on property owned by the municipality (not owned by me), about 15 miles from my main home, and the fuel cell is not directly connected with my home (it is connected to the public utility district's electric grid).   however, since i own 2% of the project, 2% of the energy surplus is credited to my electric bill.

so, again, i ask:  what form and what line is used for "off-site" and "community" solar tax credit?

Andrew_W
Employee Tax Expert

Line 7a/7b of Form 5695 refers to Fuel Cells, which are not solar-related. 

From Form 5695 Instructions:

Qualified fuel cell property costs.

Qualified fuel cell property costs are costs for qualified fuel cell property installed on or in connection with your main home located in the United States. Qualified fuel cell property is an integrated system comprised of a fuel cell stack assembly and associated balance of plant components that converts a fuel into electricity using electrochemical means. To qualify for the credit, the fuel cell property must have a nameplate capacity of at least one-half kilowatt of electricity using an electrochemical process and an electricity-only generation efficiency greater than 30%.

Form 5695, Line 1, is the appropriate line for claiming the Residential Clean Energy Credit for amounts paid for qualified solar electric property.

Source: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i5695.pdf

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

andrew_w,

thank you.

so, for form 5695 part 1, do i:

1.  just fill in lines 1, 6a, 6b?

2.  leave these lines blank:  7a, 7b, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12?

3.  line 13 = line 6b = line 15?

4.  leave form 5695 part 2 blank?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies