Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

"Check This Entry" is stuck in loop when asking for Date Acquired field in 1099-B.

Confirmed. I was able to file it this way too. Just entered values from boxes A through F in the 1099-B and attached the 1099-B pdf. I'm guessing that's how IRS go through the details if they wanted to.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

"Check This Entry" is stuck in loop when asking for Date Acquired field in 1099-B.

The issue has been submitted and is currently under investigation.  To fix this, please manually enter your "Date acquired" info. You’ll then be able to continue through your return.  We are currently working to resolve this issue.  If you would like to receive an update for the progress, click on the following link to get notified:

Acquired date

The acquired date is important to define if the transaction is considered as long term or short term.  Any asset you hold for one year or less at the time of sale is considered “short term” by the IRS.  Capital assets that you hold for more than one year and then sell are classified as long-term on Schedule D and Form 8949. 

The net gain or loss from you Form 1099-B will show on line 4 of Schedule 1 and line 7 of Form 1040.  For more information, click here: 1099-B

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It prompts for the “Date acquired” even if the field has already been filled in. Manually reviewing the entry and saving does not prevent the prompt from recurring. This seems to be a problem exclusive to the last transaction in a set. Deleting the entry entirely causes the “Date acquired” prompt on the next to last transaction.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

The issue has been submitted and is currently under investigation.  To fix this, please manually enter your "Date acquired" info. You’ll then be able to continue through your return.  We are currently working to resolve this issue.  If you would like to receive an update for the progress, click on the following link to get notified:

Acquired date

The acquired date is important to define if the transaction is considered as long term or short term.  Any asset you hold for one year or less at the time of sale is considered “short term” by the IRS.  Capital assets that you hold for more than one year and then sell are classified as long-term on Schedule D and Form 8949. 

The net gain or loss from you Form 1099-B will show on line 4 of Schedule 1 and line 7 of Form 1040.  For more information, click here: 1099-B

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When?! I've been hearing that you guys are working on it for a Month now! and it's been a problem since the software launched. I paid for the product already, we deserve an actual ETA!

It's March 26th and I see this issue continues from the first post in February.  I'm in a "Check This Entry" endless loop while trying to enter Lyft & Uber data that supposedly TurboTax automatically downloaded (the screen after "Get ready to be impressed"-- I'm NOT impressed.)  

Each time I try to fix Lyft/Uber expenses in the "Check This Entry" screen, my federal refund increases exponentially.  Yikes--I'm not going to file THAT with the IRS.  I spoke to a TurboTax person at 10:19pm last night, he suggested I clear out all my entries and start my return over form the beginning, which I did, wasted another 2 hours and am back where I started. Plus he said he'd give me service code so I wouldn't have to pay the $120 filing cost because of this glitch.  That's considerate but I already paid for this software at Costco last week and it wouldn't let me download since I don't have Admin Privileges on this laptop.  He also said he's schedule an open help session 5:00-7:00pm tonight though I haven't seen him.  Was contacted by another help person but she couldn't provide me a service code, rather suggested she watch me for two hours re-enter all of my data.  I told her I would contact her when i was done entering.  

Turbo Tax's customer service is beginning to rival that of cable companies -- so bad even commercials make fun of how bad their customer service is.  What the heck???  I sure hope this software bug is fixed before the IRS extended deadline to file.

THEY FIXED IT!!!!!!

Just tried it tonight (2200 EST 3/29/21) and this is what I did.

Delete documents that were giving you problems and reupload (I use WeBull so I just did the auto import, easy stuff).  Then when it finishes uploading, it takes you through a review process, then it takes you to a page showing all of your transactions and which ones are missing dates.  I had some problems with my entries where it didn't have a date acquired, so in my case I selected "my form doesn't have a date" then selected from the dropdown "multiple dates" (please note those choices aren't worded exactly like that but you'll see what I mean).  Then you click ok, confirm additional situations if required, ok again and done.  I had to fix up around 15 of my 188 entries so it's a little annoying but basically it took me 10 minutes and I just filed and i'm very thankful they got this fixed. 

Nice work TurboTax!

"Nice Work Turbo Tax" Really!? They don't make it work right in the first place, they now make you still fix all yourself through some wizard or something. Sure is a low bar. This is what happens when you outsource all your software engineers. 

Pathetic job TurboTax. It only took you over a month to (sort of) fix something that should have worked all along. This is one lost customer who won't be coming back.

I was able to fix this eventually. There might have been an update from Intuit, as I hadn't seen this view before, but... I went back to the income section, clicked through the remaining pages (most of which I had already done), then found myself in an income review section where the "problematic" 1099-B rows came up. I still had some challenges with some of the items, but was eventually able to get them to all disappear.
The weird thing was that some of the imports had been correct and complete from the beginning, and it was still e.g. asking for date acquired when that was already present. Anyway, taxes filed. Aww yeah! Good luck to all of you still struggling with this!

bblack312

I can't get past this loop either. Won't let me file. Now what?

bblack312

I've been trying for well over a month. I can't find a way to change the error.

tmt4
Level 2

Either they can't fix it, or they won't fix it. Several hours spent trying to fix this and many more searching the forums for an answer.

I'm getting a refund on Premier. Absolutely garbage.

What happened to this alleged fix?! My account is still messed up? How can we speak directly to a manager?

----
Level 1

I have the same issue (freezes with missing cost basis). Just spent an hour with tech support who insists this is not a bug... It must be that I have slow internet. Duh... 

How do I escalate this to get a refund for this piece of garbage software and even worse support? Now I see this is a known issue since February or earlier...

Tushar_SE

This issue is not resolved as of 05/05. Claim that turbotax makes regarding issue is resolved is not right.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies