turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Changing from IRS Free FIle Program

I began filing my taxes using the IRS Free File Program. After entering all my information, I discovered I was not eligible for the free service. How do I switch to the basic turbo tax without losing all my information?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Unfortunately you cannot.   The IRS rule is that users cannot upgrade to a paid version from Free File.  If you need to use a paid version, you start over in a different account with a different user ID.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
kuro0430

That's so BS that Intuit cannot "unhook" my account from the Free File set up! All my previous year's info is on this current account and if I create a new account, I will lose all that info. Intuit should make a button to upgrade to a paid version without making a whole new account. That's ridiculous.

Check out this one.  User OpFor at the end seems like he found a way to upgrade from Free File website and keep his info

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-i-don-t-qualify-for-free-file-this-year-as-it-...

User OpFor posted this...........

Last year one user posted this.  It works for 2020 too.....

I found this message thread because I was searching for an answer on how to do this.  I finally found it and wanted to post it in case others find it too.

1.  Go to https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare/online/

2.  Click "help me choose"

3.  Select the options that apply to your situation

4.  Click "start for free" of whatever product you want to use when it gives you the suggestions

After that, it asked how I did my taxes last year.  I selected Turbo Tax, then it had me sign in.  Once I was signed in, it asked if I was sure I wanted to change to a commercial product and not use the free file program.  I selected yes, clicked ok, and I was back into the normal system and out of the free file system.

@ kuro0430 wrote:

That's so BS that Intuit cannot "unhook" my account from the Free File set up! All my previous year's info is on this current account and if I create a new account, I will lose all that info. Intuit should make a button to upgrade to a paid version without making a whole new account. That's ridiculous.

This is an old thread with outdated information.  It IS now possible to switch from TurboTax IRS Free File Program to a paid edition in the same account without starting over.   Follow my steps exactly:

• First log out of all Intuit accounts. 
  • Delete your browser Internet cache and any Intuit-related cookies. 
    (or instead of doing that, you can try using a private window (aka private browsing/incognito mode.)
  • Close your browser and reopen it (either after Intuit cookies and cache were cleaned as above, or in a private window.)
  • Go to this page:   https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare/online/
  • When you arrive there, do NOT sign in yet.
  • Choose the product you want like you hadn't even started a return before, and click on "Start for Free".
  • It will ask how you did your taxes last year.  Say "TurboTax", and then it will ask you to sign in.
  • When you log in, and try to continue it should recognize you were using the IRS Free File Program and should ask you if you want to switch to a TurboTax commercial product and not use the IRS Free File Program anymore.   Say "yes".
  • Hopefully, that will put you back in regular Online TurboTax while keeping your originally-entered info.

This works, following the link above and choose the paid version you want. This will take you through the next steps to switch from a FREE IRS Tax filing to a paid one, noted 04/23/21.

@jrobin7933snowboy wrote:

This works, following the link above and choose the paid version you want. This will take you through the next steps to switch from a FREE IRS Tax filing to a paid one, noted 04/23/21.

Great!  I'm glad my steps worked for you.  Thanks for reporting your success.  Good luck.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies