Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Change married filing jointly to separate

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MollsBBU

To update this in TurboTax:

1. With your return open, click the Personal Info tab
  2. On the second line of the "Personal info summary" page, your current filing status should be listed
  3. Click Edit on that line
  4. To file Married Filing Separately, first select Married
  5. When the next question shows, asking "Do you want to file this return together with your spouse?", answer No.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Can u still refile if you already submitted it
daidian

how to import information from prior year return?

change married filing jointly to separate

@dragonxmacho   You are adding a complex question to a 2 year old thread.  Please start your own new question in a new thread so someone can address your specific situation.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
MollsBBU

To update this in TurboTax:

2. On the second line of the "Personal info summary" page, your current filing status should be listed
  4. To file Married Filing Separately, first select Married
  5. When the next question shows, asking "Do you want to file this return together with your spouse?", answer No.

Did you transfer a Joint return over from 2015?  Then to change to separate you each should set up new accounts and not use the transferred info.

you can use the same email address for 5 accounts.   How to start another return in the Online version      <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288574">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288574</a>

i trying change filling joinly to filling separate . it not let let start from begin to put my information in

JillS56
Expert Alumni

To change your filing status in TurboTax:  

4. To file Married Filing Separately, first, select Married

You should not have to start over but you will need to remove any information about your spouse.   

Keep in mind that if you file married filing separately means you will not get the Earned Income Credit, education credits, and other credits (exceptions are rare).    

mmanson

I followed the steps to change from Married Filing Separately, I did first, select Married.

When the next question shows, asking "Do you want to file this return together with your spouse?", I answered No.  After I answered no it says I have to create a new account in order to do that! 

Do you have another solution? or is that the only solution?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

The only way to switch from married joint to married separate is to have a second TurboTax Online account. Please see this TurboTax Help article.

@mmanson

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies