Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
,Created with Sketch.140 helpful votes

How do I switch from filing jointly to filing separately?

Note:  Once you file a joint return, you cannot choose to file separate returns for that year after the due date of the return.

If you started a joint return, didn't file it yet, and now wish to switch the primary taxpayer listed on the return to Married Filing Separately, follow these instructions. If you already transferred info over from last year's joint return, it's best to start over with a brand new return that has nothing transferred over.

  1. Open your return (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and select the Take me to my return button.)
  2. Select My Info on the left side.
  3. On the Personal info summary screen, select Edit next to Marital Status.
  4. On the Let's confirm your marital status screen, answer No to Do you want to file this return together with your spouse?
  5. Select Continue and follow the instructions.
  6. Once you're back at the Personal info summary screen, go through your federal and state returns again, just to make sure everything looks OK and makes sense.
  7. Have your spouse create a new return for themselves, if they're also filing this year.

Don't use these instructions if you're just curious about how filing separately affects your return or if you need to amend a joint return that's already been filed.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Ready to Try TurboTax?

Returning? Sign in