Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Can't e-file. Unable to locate attachment at / attachment/Form1116ScheduleB.pdf

The form is available for both e-file and mail file currently. If you are still unable to file it would be best to follow the instructions here to contact us by phone, so we can look into this further. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

i phoned intuit on 3/22.  the tech did a remote access session to verify the error, consulted with the 'higher ups', and told me to file by paper.  since this is a 1040x and the IRS is on a starvation diet, the amended return wouldn't be processed for a year after the original. not a feasible solution.  i haven't had any luck trying to 'attach' the Form1116 as a separate document either.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @CarissaM ,

Unfortunately the phone support option doesn't seem to work well for this problem. I called in twice yesterday, the first time we spent around 45 minutes working through things and then they forwarded me to a supervisor who got to say "Hello" just before the call dropped. Calling back in, I had to go through the whole process again. She looked at the information available to her, which still says that Form 1116 Schedule B would be added by Mar 31. We had to go around a few times for me to make it clear that the latest (now previous) update (v0538) included it. They opened a case and I believe put in all the relevant information. Then, 30 minutes later I received an email:

"We appreciate your patience while we looked into your issue. After investigating the issue, we found that we did not receive enough information from the Product support or Tax support expert to complete a full investigation into your concern.

We apologize for this. However, If you’re still having trouble or there’s something else we can help you with, feel free to give us a call."

I could call in for a third time, and go through the whole thing again, but I don't expect it would be any better. Is there a way to talk with someone beyond first-tier support in order to demonstrate and provide any info necessary to address this bug?

My situation as fyi:

Windows 11 w/ TurboTax Deluxe Download. Was 0538, problem still occurs on 0543.

Pre-0538 TurboTax would pop up saying 1116B was not available and blocked me from e-filing. With 0538 I was allowed to proceed through the e-file dialogs, I got to pay the state e-file fee, then when hitting "Transmit Returns Now" the error pops up: "We can't e-file your return because we are unable to locate the attachment at /attachment/Form1116ScheduleB.pdf. Please go back and re-attach it. Then try e-filing again."

Cropped Desktop Screenshot 2022.03.23 - 15.05.06.02.png

To be clear, printing (to pdf) the preview before filing shows 1116 and 1116B. Forms view also shows both forms. Going to the Tools menu, "Attachments" is greyed out and I can find no option to force generate an attachment.

Per other forum posts, I've tried going into Forms mode, deleting all 1116-related forms, then going through the Foreign Tax interview again. Same error.

I've also tried switching from Foreign Tax Credit to Deduction, then back to Credit. Same error.

The original return was created pre-0538, so I created a completely new return using 0538, entered all information for Federal and State returns, paid for State e-file again (phone support issued me a refund). Same error.

This morning, TurboTax upgraded from 0538 to 0543 so tried to e-file again. Same error.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Try this.  If you're using TurboTax Desktop, go to FORMS and 'Open Form' 1116.

Then go to FILE > Save to PDF.  The pop-up window has the form selected for you; click on 'Save as PDF' at the bottom.

Make sure you program is updated.  There was a big update this morning.

I have the same problem and have tried all the same steps. Thank you for documenting them so well. I am using same product version and have all the updates. The only exception is I have not filed state return. NY rejects state return if federal is not accepted. NY also only accepts e-file so printing and mailing is not an option.. Taking a deduction is also not an option unless TurboTax will reimburse my 84 year old mother in-law the $592 tax credit she is due from foreign tax carryover credit with her standard deduction.  1116 form and schedule b both are included in pdf print of tax return. There are no errors in the return. this issue of not transmitting due to “unable to locate 1116 schedule b pdf “ is a bug in software that needs to be resolved. Getting very frustrated with TurboTax and lack of responsibility. I have been using TurboTax since it was available on 3-1/2 floppy disks, probably 25 years now.  Fix the bug, test it and release an update. Stop wasting hours of people’s time on customer service calls, installing updates that don’t work, deleting forms, redoing the interview, taking the deduction and backing up in the interview to try and clear the problem. I will end my rant with worst I have seen from TurboTax in 25+- years of using your program. 

These instructions do not work either same problem.
installed updates, Will not transmit.then I tried to follow these instructions. This what I did.

click on Forms

under blue band of TurboTax premier click on open form

pop up opens, expand 2021 US form 1040: Individual income tax return 

scroll down to form 1116 foreign tax credit 

also tried schedule b (form 1116) when instructions did not work

click on open form in pop up

new pop up opens, highlight form then 

Click blue open form button in pop up

there is no save to pdf just print, delete or close form

So now go to black tool bar click file

click save to pdf new pop up window opens

save as pdf blue button now exists 

click on this overwrites my pdf print of return.

transmit still fails for 1116 schedule b not attached.

Of course because form 1116 and schedule b have always been in the return 

TurboTax still not working 

see previous posted rant . Still applies.

but thanks for trying 

hi

I had the same error when trying to transmit the federal and state returns.

I ended up fixing it by going into the Forms view and deleting Form 1116 and the related worksheet.

I then had to go back to Wages & Income for the federal return and go again thru the 1099-DIV screens reentering any info related to foreign taxes.

Then I had to go to the Deductions & Credits section and redo the Foreign Taxes screens

Did the federal review to make sure there weren't other errors, then Re-reviewed all the state info just in case.

Ran the review of everything and went thru all the Filing screens and the return was transmitted without any errors

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarilynG1 Thank you but this did not change the situation at all. Running 0543 (latest version), saving 1116 and 1116 B to PDF works fine, but upon trying to efile the same error occurs.

Can a case please be escalated so this problem can be fixed?

I am also running into the same problem trying to file an amended return with Desktop version 0543. To be sure, TT has my Form 1116 schedule B, and I can print it if I want.

But I can't e-file it and nothing seems to work.

If this doesn't get fixed ASAP then this is the absolutely last time I ever use TT.

Year after year there is always another unsolvable bug with TT preventing me from file the return even in March. 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

I would like to take a deeper look at this. However, I need a diagnostic file which is a copy of your tax return that has all of your personal information removed. You can send one to us by following the  directions below:

TurboTax Online:
1. Sign into your online account.
2. Locate the Tax Tools on the left-hand side of the screen. 
3. A drop-down will appear. Select Tools 
4. On the pop-up screen, click on “Share my file with agent.”
5. This will generate a message that a diagnostic file gets sanitized and transmitted to us.
6. Please provide the Token Number that was generated in the response.

TurboTax Desktop/Download Versions:
1. Open your return.
2. Click the Online tab in the black bar across the top of TurboTax and select “Send Tax File to Agent”
3. This will generate a message that a diagnostic copy will be created. Click on OK and the tax file will be sanitized and transmitted to us.
4. Please provide the Token Number that was generated in the response. 

@tvandinter

thank you.  the 'protected copy' has been uploaded and the token is 974989.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CarissaM Thank you. I have sent in the diagnostic file, the token is 975068. Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.

Thank you for looking into this problem. Token number is 975133

mikeyt10
Returning Member

thanks to all for effective responses. Uploaded sanitized file ..Token 975206.

I sent a copy - token number 975250

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies