Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can't e-file. Unable to locate attachment at / attachment/Form1116ScheduleB.pdf

I found a workaround. E-file Federal first, then e-file State.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarilynG1 @CarissaM Hi again. Just to let you know, Turbotax updated this morning to 0559 and the e-file error related to Form 1116 Schedule B still exists.

JIMX
Level 2

As of noon EDT on 3-31-22 the exact same problem STILL EXISTS. It is truly mind blowing to me that this company has such horrible software testing and terrible service. Bye Bye TT. You blew it big time. 

@CarissaM I also uploaded a diagnostic file.  Token number is 980088.  TurboTax Deluxe download version 0559 running on Windows 10.

I also tried deleting the form 1116 and recreating it as described by @HerbFreiburg but still got the same error.

I also tried to eFile Federal without State as suggested by @lushine but still got the same error.

Note that I'm trying to file an amended return for 2021, for both Federal and California State taxes.  I previously filed the original return both Federal and State successfully via eFile.  The foreign tax credit was included in the original return in the same way, though I have adjusted some amounts in the amendment.

At the end of review I saw a screen suggesting I print and file with instructions including "Step 2: Print and mail your amended returns.  Returns (other than CA) must be mailed." but no explanation why.  I saved the resulting PDF, but once I got to filing it proceeded to offer to eFile both federal and state.  Is there something about my situation which requires paper filing?  I wouldn't expect it to be the case for the foreign tax credit, since I already eFiled the original return successfully.

Update 4/5/2022: Still the same error today, with no new software updates.  Form 1116 (COPY 1) and its Schedule B are both present in my list of forms, and my printed return.  I was able to file my California state amended return successfully, but am still waiting to file my federal amended return.  Since it's an amendment, and I'm owed a refund, I have some extra time compared to the normal deadline.  I'd really prefer to be able to eFile, though, to get my refund faster.

@CarissaM 

the bug continues with version 0559 while trying to send an amended return.

What is the ETA for the fix? Why is the product quality so poor? Is anyone even testing it before it's released? It is truly beyond embarrassing.

HI- Just chiming in that I am having the same issue, was hoping to find the fix here. Turbo tax are you going to fix this bug before the filing deadline. I want to efile my return.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarilynG1 @CarissaM 

FYI that I upgraded this morning to 0568 and after fixing my payment dates (originally 2022-04-01), the e-file went through as expected, no more 1116 error message! 🥳   Thanks!

@MarilynG1 @CarissaM @Anonymous I also updated to 0568 today and tried to eFile my federal return, but unfortunately still got the same error.  Maybe the situation is different because I'm filing an amended return?  Any hope of getting this fixed soon?
I submitted another copy of my return for analysis.  Token number 989090

I was an early poster on this chain and fortunately when the first fixes came out I was able to e-file my return. But I am now being told by the IRS that my return is being subjected to some additional scrutiny. They don't say whether it has to do with the for 1116, but frankly my return is not that complicated that it would trigger any other special issues.

Is anyone else having their filing held up and making the assumption that these issues are related?

maglib
Level 11

@CarissaM just sent you token 990331 I'm a superuser with same issue sending a fed/NY over I'm fully up to date 0568 Windows Home & Business and NY 0116   I did redo the dividends,  I did try to delete the 1116b and neither allowed me to e-file.  I did check the saved .pdf and the 1116b doc is in the saved file 

YES  sending the federal return first works by itself.   You need to first wait till the federal return gets accepted though and then file the state.  Not sure why it works, but it does.

Do note for anyone that is a NYS tax filer while NY states if you file electronically, you are required to file the state electronically, they do not do anything other than request it. I have on a number of occassions had to file by mail NY returns.  I do not work for TT. 

Good luck everyone.  My the returns be with you.  @MarioH1 @HBerkley @atwyman @Anonymous @AJ511 @edenddc

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

I have the same problem with the amended return, including on 0568 (not that I'm surprised, clearly TT has done nothing about this problem). 

My state has no tax so the thing about only filing Federal doesn't apply.

@maglib I tried filing fed only with no success.  Glad it worked for you, but it's not a general solution, apparently.

@CarissaM I tried installing TurboTax on a different Windows computer, downloaded the free state, and tried to eFile the same amended return, with the same error, so I don't think it's something wrong with my installation.  Note that I saw advice on another thread to uninstall and reinstall, but when I did that TurboTax refused to re-download the free state (wanted me to pay for it again) so I was stuck before I could even try to eFile.  [Update: I was able to restore the Program Files directory from a backup to unstick my original computer back to the original state, but that had no effect on the error we're discussing here.]

Now that I've already filed my state amendment, when I re-run review, it prompts me to print to file, then jumps straight to the end without even prompting to eFile, unless I manually jump to that step.  That suggests to me maybe the program thinks I'm required to file on paper for some reason, but it never says that, or says why.  Is the combination of amendment plus eFile unsupported?

maglib
Level 11

@atwyman  did you check to see if the form was in your print out and deleting it as I did first? Do you have the most up to date version of TT downloaded?

So I  first checked to make sure the 1116b was actually in the filing, which it was.  Since it is an auto generated form I just went in and deleted it and let it regenerate.  I then saved the file.  I signed out.  restarted my computer.  Then I submitted the federal alone and it worked. ( Note I did same steps prior trying with both and it didn't work but separately it did).  

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
NYZack

@maglib I did exactly this, but no luck.  Filing an amended 1040.  Still get the "Unable to locate attachment" error.

New to this thread but getting the same error message regarding the 1116B attachment.  I'm running TT Premier desktop on Windows 10.  I was able to efile Federal and Virginia successfully on March 27.  But today (April 9) I can't e-file an amended federal return using version 568 due to the 1116B attachment error.  Since it is an amended return I'm not trying to beat the 4/15 deadline, but I would like to get them started on sending my refund.  

Token 991973.

@CarissaM

@MarilynG1 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies