turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ekrub

Can I use the TurboTax Download on my desktop and my laptop?

Can I use my downloaded Turbotax product on both my desktop and laptop?  If so, How do I access it from the second machine?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Your product license does allow you to install the download on two personal machines - so you can install the download or CD on both your desktop and laptop computer.  You can log into your TurboTax Account (click here) to download the product again if needed.

However, you would need to move the .tax2018 file between each computer in order to use the programs.  You can't access the same file from both computers without manually moving the file between both and saving any changes made to the file.  This would likely get cumbersome and be prone to mistakes if you transfer the file too often.

513newt

I purchased 2019 TurboTax Premier and loaded it onto my old windows 7 PC. I have a new laptop and would like to load Turbo Tax onto this windows 10 platform and then transfer my 2019 tax files to my new laptop.

Step 1: How do I load my previously purchased Turbo Tax software onto my new computer?

Step 2: How do I transfer my 2019 tax files created under windows 7 to my new computer running windows 10?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you can do both.

You can download the software directly from TurboTax directly onto your new computer.  You will need your log in information.  See the following link for more detailed information.

Installing program on a new computer

You can also transfer your .tax file over to the new computer using a storage device to save it and move it over.  See the following for steps on how to do that as well.

Moving tax data file to a new computer

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
artnmyr
Returning Member

Re: Can I use the TurboTax Download on my desktop and my laptop?

@artnmyr wrote:

Re: Can I use the TurboTax Download on my desktop and my laptop?

Yes, you can.  The software license allows you to install the program on up to 5 computers that you own.

Froggygremblin
Returning Member

Is this still true for the 2021 version?  I installed via CD to my desktop.  When I tied to download a copy for my laptop from installturbotax.com, it asked for my license code and then said it had already been used.  And wanted me to download it from my account which of course only had the 2020 version.  When I shared my DVD drive on my desktop and installed that way on my laptop it told me my license code was invalid.  So is this still allowed snf i so who do I need to contact to get this fixed?

Thank you

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Yes, more details on installing on more than one computer has been provided by clicking here. If you need further assistance please reach out to Customer Support by clicking here

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies