Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Davonta93

Can I file my taxes without a IRS Pin? I never got one in the mail.

can I efile without ip pin number 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

No, if the IRS has issued an IP PIN for your tax return, you will have to include the IP PIN to be able to electronically file your tax return.

If you know you need an IP PIN to file your taxes and you lost your CP01A letter (or never received it), you can:

• Retrieve your IP PIN online at the IRS's Get an IP PIN site; or
  • Call the IRS at 1-800-908-4490 to have your IP PIN mailed to you (this can take up to 21 days)

See this TurboTax Help.

@Davonta93 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It never even brought it up that i needed to enter a pin at all throughout the entire process.

Davonta93

I never used a pin last year and didn't receive no letter this year from the IRS with no ip pin number 

RalphH1
Expert Alumni

Normally, no IP PIN is needed to e-file (just your “Adjusted Gross Income” from last year, which TurboTax always asks for in the “File” part of the program). Many people have no IP PIN, either because they’ve never had a tax security issue which would prompt the IRS to issue one, or they’ve never specifically requested one (just to get the extra protection).

@Davonta93 and @wnxsparkman, are you possibly in this group? If so, then it’s a non-issue, and you can just file like you normally do. However, if one or both of you has ever had an IP number, then theoretically the IRS will reject an e-file attempt if you don’t include it. (And you should be signed up permanently, so this is a yearly thing going forward, as discussed here.)

If this is a question about how to enter in TurboTax, just go to:

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Other Tax Situations
  3. (Scroll down to “Other Return Info”)
  4. Identity Protection PIN

And here’s the link where you can hopefully retrieve an IP number if you didn’t get the letter. Also, if you are on somehow signed up but your e-files are being accepted without the PIN, that would be a aberration in the IRS system (which they would likely want to know about). Feel free to re-post here with other specifics if I misunderstood your situation and help is still needed!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies