turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I enter my 1099R manually instead of giving Turbo Tax my login/password to my investments?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I enter my 1099R manually instead of giving Turbo Tax my login/password to my investments?

When you get to the 1099-R section, you will see a screen with a lot of financial logos and a search line for your financial institution.    Just ignore that screen.   That's only if you want to import the 1099-R.  So leave the financial institution search line blank and do not select a logo.  Instead, way down in the lower right corner is a gray button "I'll type it in myself."   Click that, and on a subsequent screen you can manually type in the institution name and the data from your 1099-R.

View solution in original post

@ LGB915 wrote:

Found it. Than you so much. Now once I've filled everything that my 1099-R form has & click continue, it tells me to go back and correct error but doesn't highlight any box(es). I have gone back to each field and matched it with my form. Seems TurboTax is MUCH more difficult to use this year. I've never had problems in all the years I've been using it (well over 10).

With no information, we're not going to know in a user community forum which of your data items in the 1099-R are causing an error, or whether the error is from one of the many followup questions that the program asks after entering the 1099-R.  We can tell you how to speak with Support, if it comes to that, where they can question you one-on-one in realtime.   But first you can try this, if you wish:

Sometimes when there is an unexplained error in TurboTax, it can be resolved by deleting the form and re-entering it.   That can reset something.  So go through that section again.  When you first arrive at that topic, it will probably now show you a 1099-R Summary page called "Your 1099-R Entries."   And there should be a little trashcan symbol and the word "Delete", where you can delete the 1099-R.

If you get the error again, please provide the following info.  Do NOT post any personal info in this public forum.

What type of 1099-R?   On the screen that lists 4 "types" of 1099-R, did you choose regular Form 1099-R, or is it an uncommon type such as CSA-1099R, CSF-1099R, or RRB1099-R?   Is this distribution for an IRA, ROTH, annuity, other qualified plan, etc.?

What boxes of your 1099-R show entries?   What is the distribution code shown in Box 7?  And also in Box 7 is there a checkmark for IRA, SEP, SIMPLE shown on your copy of the 1099-R? 

View solution in original post

8 Replies

To enter, edit or delete a form 1099-R -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), click the start or update button

Or enter 1099-r in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to 1099-R

Yes.  It might be just as fast and easy to manually enter any 1099.

You can just type 1099R into the search box at the top of your return, then find and it will give you a Jump To link to go right to it.

OR Enter a 1099R under
Federal on left
Wages & Income at top
Then scroll way down to Retirement Plans and Social Security,
Then IRA, 401(k), Pension Plans (1099R) - click Start or Update

If you get the screen of partners you can import from click the bottom circle for I'll type it in myself - Continue
The next screen should be What Type of 1099R is this? With 4 choices. Pick the right kind you have.
And on the same screen you pick which person it is for if you are married.

When you get to the 1099-R section, you will see a screen with a lot of financial logos and a search line for your financial institution.    Just ignore that screen.   That's only if you want to import the 1099-R.  So leave the financial institution search line blank and do not select a logo.  Instead, way down in the lower right corner is a gray button "I'll type it in myself."   Click that, and on a subsequent screen you can manually type in the institution name and the data from your 1099-R.

Found it. Than you so much. Now once I've filled everything that my 1099-R form has & click continue, it tells me to go back and correct error but doesn't highlight any box(es). I have gone back to each field and matched it with my form. Seems TurboTax is MUCH more difficult to use this year. I've never had problems in all the years I've been using it (well over 10).

Some brokers report in a way that TurboTax will not accept.

For example, negative numbers for cost/basis, or dividends received.

Caution: IRS rules for reporting transactions are not the same for brokers as for individuals.

@ LGB915 wrote:

With no information, we're not going to know in a user community forum which of your data items in the 1099-R are causing an error, or whether the error is from one of the many followup questions that the program asks after entering the 1099-R.  We can tell you how to speak with Support, if it comes to that, where they can question you one-on-one in realtime.   But first you can try this, if you wish:

Sometimes when there is an unexplained error in TurboTax, it can be resolved by deleting the form and re-entering it.   That can reset something.  So go through that section again.  When you first arrive at that topic, it will probably now show you a 1099-R Summary page called "Your 1099-R Entries."   And there should be a little trashcan symbol and the word "Delete", where you can delete the 1099-R.

If you get the error again, please provide the following info.  Do NOT post any personal info in this public forum.

What type of 1099-R?   On the screen that lists 4 "types" of 1099-R, did you choose regular Form 1099-R, or is it an uncommon type such as CSA-1099R, CSF-1099R, or RRB1099-R?   Is this distribution for an IRA, ROTH, annuity, other qualified plan, etc.?

What boxes of your 1099-R show entries?   What is the distribution code shown in Box 7?  And also in Box 7 is there a checkmark for IRA, SEP, SIMPLE shown on your copy of the 1099-R? 

I deleted all the fields and started again and it worked. Thank you so much.

@LGB915 wrote:

I deleted all the fields and started again and it worked. Thank you so much.

Great news.  You're welcome.  I'm glad it worked.  Good luck.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies