franksmith388

Can I claim someone on Medicaid?

I'm a resident of Louisiana. I have 4 individuals living with me and all 4 are have Medicaid an receive foodstamps. I provide more than50%of their  support .. Two  are in college and receive financial aid.. Can I claim them on my taxes without it affecting their Medicade or food stamps they receive?

CarolynM

Can I claim someone on Medicaid?

Yes if you meet the criteria, you may claim them. It doesn't affect their taxes and their qualifications to receive  benefits.

To claim a child as a dependent, he or she must:
*            be your child (or adoptive or foster child), sibling, niece, nephew or grandchild; 
*            be under age 19, or under age 24 and a fulltime student for at least five months of the year; or be permanently disabled, regardless of age; 
*            have lived with you for more than half the year; and 
*            have provided no more than half his or her own support for the year.

To claim an adult  or a child that does not qualify above, as a dependent:

·       You provided more than half of their support.

·       They made less than $4,050 in gross taxable income. 

·       They lived with you for the entire year.

·       They are not a dependent on someone else’s taxes.

·       They are not filing a joint return with someone else.

·       They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.  

CarolynM

Can I claim someone on Medicaid?

misty-lutley

Can I claim someone on Medicaid?

My daughter had a baby in September 2018. They both live with me. She works and made it about $6000. She did not qualify for Medicaid until around the end of June. Can I claim both of them? I made around 38,000.  I also have a son that graduated in May. He made probably around $10,000. Can I also claim him?
misty-lutley

Can I claim someone on Medicaid?

Forgot to tell you she is 23 years old. My son is 19

Can I claim someone on Medicaid?

Were either one of them full-time students in 2018?
misty-lutley

Can I claim someone on Medicaid?

My son was a high school student until he graduated in May.  My daughter was not a student at all in 2018.