Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bug report - joint return w/deceased spouse efile rejected by IRS

Using TurboTax Premier download edition, efile of joint federal return for 2019 with deceased wife gets rejected with the reported error shown below. She died in 2019. We filed a joint return for 2018, and I double-checked that the AGI from 2018 was correctly entered in my 2019 return. There is no separate prompt to enter my wife's identifying information.

The error message:

IND-032-04 - SpousePriorYearPIN or 'SpousePriorYearAGIAmt in the Return Header must match the e-File database.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Every year I file taxes with turbo tax for my inlaws.  My father-in-law passed in 2019 and the return was rejected with IND-031-04.

I read a forum from last year where the solution was to put the surviving spouse name first.  As soon as I did this it was accepted.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/rejected-2019-return-based-on-my-deceased-spouse-...

Others from last year reported that submitting on Freetaxusa.com they efiled and it was accepted.  I don't know why the problem is happening with turbo tax.   Seems like they should fix the problem if there were 13 pages last year with multiple people having the same problem. And more people having the problem this year.   Try putting the living spouses name first and report if the return was accepted so others will know.  Good luck all!

View solution in original post

141 Replies

Even if you could enter your spouse’s e-file pin, in most cases, you will find that the Social Security administration has locked your spouse’s Social Security number to prevent fraud, and that will also block e-filing.  Print your return, sign it, and mail it in. Don’t forget to also print and mail your state return.

That makes sense. Thanks. A less misleading error message would have been helpful, but I guess that's on the IRS, not Intuit.

I just ran into the same problem.   If the answer is as simple as this, why does Turbo Tax allow the return to be efiled?   They should simply say that you can't efile a return for a deceased taxpayer.

Plus it says elsewhere in this community (can't figure out how to link here) that a return for a decease taxpayer can be efiled.

So I am in the same situation as the OP.   The return was rejected even though I put in the correct AGI.

Although I notice that the OP said there was no place to enter the spouse's information.  That makes sense since they filed jointly in 2018.    My wife and I filed married filing separately in 2018 and I'm filing jointly for 2019.   Turbo tax did ask for each of our 2018 AGIs separately.

@jchapman wrote:

That makes sense. Thanks. A less misleading error message would have been helpful, but I guess that's on the IRS, not Intuit.

I think in previous years the message has been more specific, I don't know if the current change is an accident on the part of the IRS or a deliberate change in wording.

@johnf3 wrote:

I just ran into the same problem.   If the answer is as simple as this, why does Turbo Tax allow the return to be efiled?   They should simply say that you can't efile a return for a deceased taxpayer.

Plus it says elsewhere in this community (can't figure out how to link here) that a return for a decease taxpayer can be efiled.

So I am in the same situation as the OP.   The return was rejected even though I put in the correct AGI.

Although I notice that the OP said there was no place to enter the spouse's information.  That makes sense since they filed jointly in 2018.    My wife and I filed married filing separately in 2018 and I'm filing jointly for 2019.   Turbo tax did ask for each of our 2018 AGIs separately.

There is nothing in policy that prevents e-filing as such, it just seems to be the case the the social security administration (which is where the IRS gets their SSN/name/DOB database) is becoming more aggressive about blocking the SSNs of deceased people.  This is probably to your ultimate benefit although it may be frustrating in the short term.

My main reason for suspecting this is that, if you use the same Turbotax account from year to year, the program automatically adds the e-filing PINS for both spouses, and I have only seen this problem reported for the deceased spouse, and not for the living spouse or in couples with both spouses alive.

Now of course, if a spouse died in 2018, the taxpayer can;'t file a joint return in 2019 regardless of SSN block or not.  They would file single, or head of household, or qualifying widow(er), but not joint.  I don't notice that happening but it's possible, then its the taxpayer error.  The other tricky thing about this forum is that it was created this year and all the posts from the old forum were migrated in May and June and ended up with 2019 dates, even if they were originally years older, so posts dated May and June 2019 can contain out of date information. 

If what you say is true, then there is still a bug in turbo tax.  It should notify the user that the return can not be efiled.  Users are relying on turbo tax being up to date with laws and rules.   It would save users having to spend an hour searching for a solution.   Also I have the same problem with the state efile.  I paid $25 for state efile and I can't use it.

Oh and they should also do something about the dates in the community posts.   Probably a warning in all those posts that they are probably out of date.   If I search here for an answer and what I find is out of date, it wastes time at a minimum and may actually cause error if people use the outdated information.

This seems to be a software issue, not an IRS/SSA e-file issue. Simply editing the return to unmark the spouse as deceased and re-filing will result in the return being accepted. This was not an issue when using the 2018 version of TurboTax. I filed the same sort of return for my in-laws last year for a husband who had passed in 2017, and it worked fine with one spouse marked as deceased.

My guess is that TT is simply not sending the AGI and/or PIN for a deceased spouse on a joint return in the 2019 version of the software.

Also, as others have pointed out, printing and mailing is not a great solution *after* you have already paid the $25 e-file fee.

@derscott wrote:

This seems to be a software issue, not an IRS/SSA e-file issue. Simply editing the return to unmark the spouse as deceased and re-filing will result in the return being accepted. This was not an issue when using the 2018 version of TurboTax. I filed the same sort of return for my in-laws last year for a husband who had passed in 2017, and it worked fine with one spouse marked as deceased.

My guess is that TT is simply not sending the AGI and/or PIN for a deceased spouse on a joint return in the 2019 version of the software.

Also, as others have pointed out, printing and mailing is not a great solution *after* you have already paid the $25 e-file fee.

That is an interesting extra observation and I will forward this for investigation.

Also, once you pay the extra fee in the desktop program to e-file, and then you can't e-file, you can call customer support for a refund.  With the online program, there is no separate charge for e-filing, so there is no refund if you aren't able to e-file. 

@johnf3 wrote:

If what you say is true, then there is still a bug in turbo tax.  It should notify the user that the return can not be efiled.  Users are relying on turbo tax being up to date with laws and rules.   It would save users having to spend an hour searching for a solution.   Also I have the same problem with the state efile.  I paid $25 for state efile and I can't use it.

Turbotax doesn't know what will happen once your return is transmitted.  That's up the IRS and social security administration.  I'm not sure how helpful it would be to add a warning that "sometimes" certain things might happen.

If you paid the state e-filing fee for the desktop program and can't e-file, call support for a refund.  The online program does not charge a fee for state e-filing, the state prep fee includes e-filing and there are no partial refunds if you can't e-file. https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Based on the last statement that the return could be e-filed if the "deceased spouse" box is unchecked, that is evidence that there might be a bug in Turbotax.  (Don't do this to e-file, it will cause problems later.  Please leave the box checked if your spouse is deceased.)

To try and track down the bug (if it is one) it would be helpful for 2 or 3 affected people to create diagnostic files and send them to tech support.  If you have a deceased spouse and your return is rejected, create a diagnostic file by going to the help menu and select "Send file to agent."  This sends an anonymous version of your file to tech support and gives you a token number.  Post the token number here, so tech support can associate the diagnostic file with the complaint. 

GabiU
Level 15

Thank you for reporting your experience, and @Opus 17 for sharing this with us. 

@derscott and @johnf3 It'd be great to get a diag file on this so we can do more research. 

1. Click into your return. ​
2. Click Online and select "Send Tax File to Agent". ​
3. This will generate a message that a diagnostic copy will be created. Click on OK, the tax file gets sanitized and transmitted to us.​
4. Please provide the Token Number that was generated onto a response. 

Thank you! I hope to hear from you soon. 

GabiU 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

OK, I will do that.   Does it matter that I have already switched the return to print and mail?   And the #4 provide token number onto a response - That means to respond here with the token number?

Post the token here.  (If you were on the phone with an agent you would read it to them.)

I don’t know if it is too late to get meaningful info.  Go ahead if you can, the tech people can tell us what they find.  

The direction for generating a sanitized return don't align with my iMac version of TT. I'm not sure where the "Send to Tax File Agent" option/control lives.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies