turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Rejected 2019 return based on my deceased spouse's agi

Thank you dianalarose! This worked for me. Same exact problem. Freetaxusa.com efiled no problem. Less expensive than TurboTax too!

This is sad and ridiculous.

Intuit is a $74 Billion company.  They should be an expert in dealing with this situation which is VERY VERY common.  Over 700,000 people lose a spouse each year, so this is a big problem that they are ignoring.

I'm going to try to escalate this.  I actually got the IRS transcript and verified that the number is correct.

I spoke to a senior customer service rep.  She said that it is a known issue, and that they are working on fixing it.  She thought it might be fixed in a week.

My support case# is [social security number removed]  -- I asked to have it escalated.

Sadly she said there is no way to notify me when the fix is available, so one would have to check back (and re-escalate).  Poor form there.

hopev

Thank you all who suggested FreeTaxUSA. I had the same problem, filed with FreeTaxUSA, same information, it was accepted within 20 minutes. 

Thank you Diana. Freetax USA worked for me too. Funny how TurboTax says the only other option is to mail it in!

If anyone wants to comment on twitter, I posted this:

https://twitter.com/lindner/status/[phone number removed]0001792

Going to try FreeTaxUSA and see how hard it is to do my complex return...

mwellermd
Returning Member

Same situation for me, spouse passed away last year. Tried to e-file 3 times. Tried correcting AGI for spouse and confirmed number by getting IRS transcript. Hours lost in researching the problem. Hard enough to deal with the loss of a spouse without also dealing with a non-working tax filing program. 

Same issue! The program should provide the ability to input deceased spouse PIN. This would provide IRS validation with PIN and AGI.

This is a Turbo Tax issue that should be corrected. 

I'm having the same problem with the passing of my wife. Turbo Tax has been of NO help and I am at a stalemate. I will never recommend or purchase Turbo Tax again.

Try FREETAXUSA. I had same issue with both Turbotax & H&R Block. Put exactly same info in at FREETAXUSA & BAMMM! Return went straight through & refund received. Good luck.

Same problem this evening.  Hmmm...decisions decisions, do I wait "a week" and try again to efile, or do I give up and mail it in?  No way I want to enter it in to another program, but that's great that FreeTax works for everyone.

That being said, if FreeTax works, then it's a bug with TurboTax, not the IRS.

I haven't spent any time on it, came here after the second rejection.  There are a lot of improvements and bugs that need to be fixed on TurboTax's end as it relates to returns with deceased taxpayers. 2020 state estimates have my deceased spouses name on them.  All fixable, but I really need to pay attention.  Be careful if you import 2019 data in to 2020.  I might just start from scratch next year.  Only reason I use TT is that it will import my brokerage transactions.  I can't get a straight answer about other vendors.

I escalated with some of my LinkedIn contacts and am now talking to the "Office of the President".  Will see how far we can get...

I'm taking the time hit so (hopefully) other folks don't have to suffer the same.

Thank you Paul! I'm hoping to hear some good news! I too am having the same issue as all others in this thread - filing my parent's return and my dad passed away in 2019. Getting the incorrect AGI error which I am 100% positive is correct. Ugh!

I have what may be a clue. When reviewing my return just prior to transmitting it, I see that the PIN fields in each of the two signature lines are not filled in. Perhaps Turbotax needs to fill these in (one for me, and one for deceased spouse). Unfortunately, I do not know of a way to fill them in manually to test this theory. 

Disregard my theory above. I am confusing one type of PIN with another. I am in the same boat with the rest of you, though. I know both my PIN and the PIN of my my deceased wife (whom I miss beyond words), and neither will work when I enter it at the prompt.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies