Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Slamjo
Returning Member

Bought wrong Turbotax

After buying new laptop without CD option I went to Costco to buy Turbotax Premier which I have used every year - FOREVER!   The only Premier Turbotax they had was the Online Edition which I figured was correct - it said “no CD”.  Figured I had to go online to download my program.  When I tried to do so with this program I discovered that it was designed to compel me to upload my data to cyberspace to complete my return - NOT DOING THAT thank you!!

So I called Intuit.   Spoke to Faiza who helped me download the program to my laptop. Then she gave me a code which was only 14 characters long. I mentioned it needed to be 16 characters & she hung up on me - after approximately 45 minutes on the phone trying to resolve this issue. 
I called back- Rabail  was very understanding of all that had happened.  After another 45 minutes on the phone with her she informed me there are NO REFUNDS on online versions. After checking with someone else she then told me she would send me a refund request form and I could wait 2-3 business weeks for a decision.   I did fill in refund request form (all this the same day as purchase).  Then I noticed that each of these encounters gave me a different case # - in total 4 different case #’s for one issue on one day January 4th 2023.  
How can Intuit be so cold over a simple mistake by a senior citizen?  What would it cost them to fix this problem?   NOTHING!!!!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

Bought wrong Turbotax

When you bought it at Costco what does the package say?  Did you turn it in for the CD at the window? That come with the 16 digit License Code.  A lot of people don't realize you have to get the real package.    I bought mine from Costco yesterday.  Did you buy it in the store or online from Costco?  I don't think they sell the online version at all,  just the download program online or CD in the store.

If you buy the CD you can use the download method to install it.  

Bought wrong Turbotax

Can you post a picture of what you bought that says no CD and Online?  It might have been the sales card you have to turn in the get the full package after you pay for it.  Some people walk out of Costco without getting it.  

Slamjo
Returning Member

Bought wrong Turbotax

When I bought at Costco the box says “no CD” & online edition.  I checked to make sure I didn’t need anything else.  Code was in box but only for online where data had to be uploaded to Intuit site to complete tax returns.  Not what I wanted or thought I was buying.  

Slamjo
Returning Member

Bought wrong Turbotax

I got the Online version which was Complete with code for online but that is not what I intended to buy or wanted.  I do not want to upload all my data to cyberspace and complete our family tax returns on the intuit website where they are saved for 7 years.  

Bought wrong Turbotax

You're not in Canada are you?  A couple  years ago Costco did sell an Online version but I think it didn't work out well and now should only sell  the Desktop CD or Download programs.

Slamjo
Returning Member

Bought wrong Turbotax

Yes I am in Canada.  This is a nightmare.  I am not impressed with Intuit

Bought wrong Turbotax

Awww,  This is the USA forum
Here is the Canada forum
https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/tax-help

Or Contact TurboTax Canada Support https://support.turbotax.intuit.ca/contact

Bought wrong Turbotax

You are confusing  the vocabulary  -----you are mixed up about  "online" with "download".  Costco does not even sell online--web-based-- tax software.   They sell the CD/download.  Many people nowadays do not have disk drives so they just use the internet--go online-- and then download the software to their own hard drives.  That is what you were supposed to do.  You were not paying to use "online" software.   

You have the license code.  You are supposed to download your software to your own hard drive and use the program from your own hard drive.  You enter the license code when you download and update the software.

When you use the CD/download software your tax file will be stored only on your own hard drive or any back up device you use like a flash drive or external hard drive.  It will not be stored online at all.  It will not be in an online account.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Bought wrong Turbotax

Oh boy.....to add to the confusion you are in the wrong user forum.  You need to use the forum for Canada and let some Canadian customer support help you.  If you were talking to customer support in the U.S no wonder they were confused by your objection to using "online" from Costco.

CANADA 

This is the U.S. TurboTax public user forum. For help with Canadian taxes, please post your question in the Canada TurboTax user forum., at the following link.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/turbotax-support/help/03/en-cahttps://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax-software/index.jsp

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Bought wrong Turbotax

@xmasbaby0   The Canada versions are different.  I think they do sell the Online version too.  

Bought wrong Turbotax

@VolvoGirl Great that you remembered that!   It did not even occur to me that the user was in Canada and strayed into the wrong user forum.  I wonder if they called customer support in the U.S. too, thus adding to the frustration and confusion....

Slamjo
Returning Member

Bought wrong Turbotax

Really!   Intuit is Intuit regardless if is Canada or the USA or anywhere else.  It is their response that is the issue.  I am the victim here.  

Bought wrong Turbotax

@Slamjo We hope you get it all sorted out by talking to customer support in Canada.   Good luck and happy new year!

Bought wrong Turbotax

@Slamjo Intuit Canada is owned by Intuit USA, but we have different products and services, and Canadian tax rules are different than US tax rules. So our colleagues in the US can't help Canadian customers (and vice versa). 

Regarding your purchase from Costco, if the box said it was for TurboTax Online, then that is the product you bought. If you would prefer to use TurboTax CD/Download, then you can get a refund for the Online product by using the form on this page: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/after-you-file-questions/help/how-do-i-get-a-refund-f...

This page on our website shows all the CD/Download products we have available for 2022 in Canada: https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax/software/download

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies