Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Activation Code Requested after January 30 update of TT 2020 Deluxe

I purchased TT 2020 Deluxe for Windows download from Amazon December 26.

Install and activation were normal.  Program launched numerous times and updated several times in January with no problem.  After the January 30 update today, the program asked for the activation code again, then launched normally after I entered the code for a second time.

I phoned customer service.  The rep confirmed that my activation code has been used twice but did not consider that to be a problem since the program was working normally.

Has anyone else encountered this problem with today's update?  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same problem with 2020 Home & Business.  UPDATING BROKE MY ACTIVATION. It worked fine after initial activation on1-10-2021. After a few weeks of inactivity, I opened the program today, 2-20.2021, and it updated. That somehow broke the activation, because it prompted me to enter a new  activation! I knew this was wrong, so I didn't do it. Instead, I searched for a solution online. What I found, https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/turbotax-2019-requests-license-activation-at-every... DID NOT WORK. I carefully tried everything suggested. I also rebooted my PC and changed network adapters. No help.  My only alternative now is to try calling TurboTax support... 

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

Since you have already tried the options in the link above with no success, please contact our TurboTax Customer Care Team and speak with an agent.  TurboTax customer service/support does not have a single phone number but has many different phone numbers based on the type of platform used.  So that we can direct your call to the best person/department to help you:

1. Click on this link: Contact Us
  2. Select your TurboTax platform.  
  3. Ask your question / state your problem.  Do NOT use the word "refund' or you will get a phone number for tax refunds.
  4. Click Submit.
  5. On the next screen, choose the Call option and follow the instructions.  You will be given the approximate wait time.  

You'll get a toll-free number to a TurboTax expert who is specially-trained to handle your particular issue.

"Irene2805 Employee Tax Expert"

Chris474
Returning Member

The "contact us" link you provided is broken and the problem still persists.  This is unacceptable.  Intuit needs to figure this out or provide a way for us to actually contact you.

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

@Chris474, please see the FAQ link provided below to reach out to TurboTax customer support to get assistance with this issue:

TurboTax customer support

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Chris474
Returning Member

So, other than calling support there is no resolution for this known issue?

laser702

You could've been caught between updates from Intuit and Microsoft.  

Run "Check for Updates" in your Windows settings.  Install available updates.

Contacting Support is a very painful process.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris474 If you have already tried the troubleshooting steps, and your issue is still unresolved it is best to contact us. If the Contact us link isn't working for you, copy and paste it in a different browser. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

laser702, you may be right. It looks like windows 10 was also updating something around the same time.  In any event, I decided to go ahead and reactivate TT H&B.  Since then, I've opened and closed the program a few times  and gone through yet another TT update with no issues. It remains activated (crossing fingers - for no more glitches). My main concern, BTW, was that TT would repeatedly demand new activations until it would accept no more, and the app would be unusable. Without going through "Support Hell" I'd love to hear from a qualified tech person who knows more about this.

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Please see below for information on how to contact customer support. This is the best and most efficient way for you to connect with the right person.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

I am having the same issue with activation where after an update Turbotax is asking for activation code again.

Intuit's phone support has proved to be absolutely useless!!! A representative told me she'll find an answer for me, then after 38 minutes on hold, she cuts me off.

The representatives are emailing a useless list of topics, to address this multiple activation issue. One of the topics tells me to call customer support, who in turn email me the same useless links to topics that do not address this problem. So round and round we go, in an infinite recursion and the problem persists. So, if the issue cannot be addressed on this forum and Intuit's support can't answer the most basic of questions, where do we go next? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies