turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

your $xx,xxx of mortgage interest is the same as HP3L12 because true.

I get this nonsense message when I ask for an explanation of my mortgage interest deduction on my Federal return; any ideas what this is supposed to mean? The figure looks wrong as well; the deduction is a few hundred less than what I am expecting.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Continue to work through the Mortgage Interest section and any other itemized deductions to the end.  If the problem continues,. go back to re-enter the deduction and make sure you answer all questions accurately.  Here is how to get back to enter the interest:

Here's how to enter your mortgage interest statement in TurboTax:

1. With your return open, search for 1098 and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  2. Follow the instructions to enter your 1098 info.

If you're using the mobile app, use these instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
celielee

Hello,

I am having the same issue. It doesnot allow me to take itemized deductions because of this. 

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

We are aware of this issue.

Please sign up for email notifications of when an update related to this issue is available here.

You can deduct home mortgage interest on the first $750,000 ($375,000 when married filing separately) of indebtedness. 

Higher limitations -- $1 million, $500,000 if married filing separately -- apply when you're deducting mortgage interest from indebtedness incurred prior to December 16,

Same issue. Same lovely gibberish in the explanatory message box.

After looking closely at my Schedule A, I see that TurboTax is under-reporting my mortgage interest by about $5000. No, I haven't hit any limits. The software has a bug and it's not notifying users. . Had I trusted the software and not closely reviewed my Schedule A, I wouldn't have found this error and it would have cost me about $1600.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Some TurboTax customers are experiencing an issue with their home mortgage average balance. This can cause the home mortgage interest to be incorrectly limited.  This may be affecting your tax return.

Please sign up for email notifications when an update related to this issue is available here.

See also this TurboTax Help.

I received an email notification today that the issue is fixed. This is not true. The issue remains.

The new help topic referenced in the email is about how to handle multiple 1098 forms in the event you refinance your home in 2020. This applies to me. The topic mentions that the order you enter the 1098 forms can matter. Strange, but okay.

I deleted the 1098 for the refi'd loan and yes, my refund climbed up close to where it should be.

When I added the 1098 for the refi back, the refund plummeted again, incorrectly limiting my mortgage interest deduction.

You folks need to fix this entirely, not piecemeal. And documentation does not solve this problem. Your software is broken.
Edit: Meant to mention, the lovely "HP3L12 because true" message is still present, too.

@mcwilgus I received the same email notification that this was fixed.

I am also reporting that I am still having similar issues with mortgage interest being limited.

totally agree and when i ask to report it still not working.  I am told to pay for expert help.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Here is the workaround:

If you have more than one 1098 form, I will recommend you to combine all 1098 forms and enter as one.  I am attaching a TurboTax link for the instructions how to do claim your mortgage interests.  Click here:

Multiple Form 1098s

For tax years prior to 2018, your mortgage interest deduction is generally limited if all mortgages used to buy, construct, or improve your first home (and second home if applicable) total more than $1 million ($500,000 if you use married filing separately status). Beginning in 2018, this limit is lowered to $750,000.  For more information about the mortgage interest deductions, click here: Mortgage Interest deduction

Hi @LinaJ2020, since we're now doing what we paid TurboTax to do, can we expect a discounted rate?

Additionally, since we're creating a fake 1098, which lender do we put in that form?

@LinaJ2020I have the same concerns as @samrom90 

The instructions for combining 1098 forms are incomplete and do not fix the software bug. Neither does it fix the damage to my trust in TurboTax. If Intuit would just refund my money entirely, I'd take my business elsewhere and never return.

But Intuit is not taking responsibility for this bug, is not issuing refunds, but is issuing incomplete advice without guarantee.

Same issue. Two 1098s and > 750k in loan value. Getting a low number for mortgage interest deduction and told to upgrade to get tax help. The result is clearly wrong. 

Intuit has lost it. TaxAct correctly calculates it.

I am getting ready to jump ship with Intuit. Nothing is more infuriating that their robotic answers, and pretending to fix the problem where clearly that's just a con.

I loaded up Tax Act. Guess what? It works.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies