turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rome521

Can I amend my tax return to itemize instead of taking the standard deduction? My wife needs to itemize but I filed separately and took the standard deduction.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
ov107140

Can I amend my tax return to itemize instead of taking the standard deduction? My wife needs to itemize but I filed separately and took the standard deduction.

walkthrough for program change
georgesT

Yes, you can amend your taxes to itemized deduction.

If you already filed and the return was accepted by IRS, you have to wait until you receive your refund before you can amend your taxes . 

If your return is rejected or not yet submitted, you can edit any time and itemize your expenses. 

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

db107842

yes was helpful but how do you change from standard to itemized
bessieyy

Same question. How do you change standard to itemized when amending exactly?

in personal;info or filing status you have to state you are filing separately and then what your spouse did.,since she itemized or will itemize that will force you to itemize.
ov107140

the answer above does not walk user through amendment process for switching to standard. Not helpful
vhorlback

I have the same question. I tried to go through it step by step but couldn't find the answer. hopefully we get one soon.
vhorlback

Found it, for the online version go to Tools > Topic List > Expand All > Deductions (scroll all the way down) > Itemize Deductions. Click on it and it'll ask you if you want to change from standard to itemized.
jabber1

TURBO TAX seriously for amending - where is the change from standard to itemized found ?!
This shouldnt be that hard. There is no "WRAP UP" deductions when looking in the amended gui

In CD/Download Forms mode, see Fed Info Worksheet (Info Wks) Part VI additional info section. 

Under Personal Info - Your personal info summary

Edit Spouse

CONTINUE to Select any that Apply

Mark the box for itemized deductions.

vhorlback

Is this for the CD version only? Do I have to purchase the CD in order to amend? I'm not seeing a download option for CD products unless I have to purchase separately.

I went to Tools:  Topic List and clicked on Deductions and it did not ask if you want to change from standard to itemized deductions.  Any suggestions?

Correction.  I did find it under Tools:  Topic List.  However, you make the change where Turbo Tax asks if you want to take the Standard or Itemized Deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies