Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is there no way to get directly to your current year tax documents and tax tools from the Tax Home page that doesn't involve the "Add a state" button?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Why is there no way to get directly to your current year tax documents and tax tools from the Tax Home page that doesn't involve the "Add a state" button?

So I was looking for my 2019 tax documents and forms after I had submitted my 2019 taxes. I couldn't find them on the Tax Home page. On the sidebar of the Tax Home page, you have the options of "Tax Home" (which just gets you back to the Tax Home page) and "Documents", which gets you to a page that wants you to upload your existing tax documents. I looked everywhere on the Tax Home page, and there was no link or button to get you to your Info, or Tax Tools, or Print Center, all of which are important, useful things that people want to find.

Right. So I asked a question about where to find a thing I was looking for (a version of my tax return with the Tax Summary at the start), and someone indicated that the way to find my Tax Tools and Print Center and forms, etc, was to hit the button that says "Add a state" at the bottom of the Tax Home page. So I hit the "Add a state" button, and lo and behold, all of the tax tools and forms and the print center show up on the sidebar. Which solved my problem. 

But why, for god's sake, is the way to get to all of these vital tools and documents to click a button that says "Add a state"? I didn't need to add a state to my tax return. I needed to find the print center and tax tools. "Add a state" suggests that, well, when you click that button, you are doing so to add a new state to your tax return. Which seems like a really unlikely situation for most people to need to do, after they have submitted their tax return. Conversely, it seems very likely that people will want to find their tax print center and tax forms after they have submitted their tax return.

This is a deeply flawed interface issue. The links to your Tax Tools and Print Center and My Info, etc. should be on the sidebar *all the time*. You should not need to non intuitively guess that "Add a state" is the key to finding your Tax Tools and Print Center, etc.

This is a non sensical situation. Please. Someone at the ironically named Intuit company fix this completely non-intuitive interface issue.

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

We will pass along your comments to our Developers,.

Thank you. I spent a lot of effort looking for a direct way to send comments/feedback (after you get out of the "please rate our service" phase of the process; at the point that I was rating the service, I hadn't run into this issue yet), and there doesn't seem to be a direct way to send comments/feedback about issues like this. At least not one that the question bot was capable of pointing to.

So I appreciate that these comments will be sent to someone. Thanks!

This has not been fixed! Filed my 2020 Federal & State tax return.  Federal went through and my state return was rejected.  The error was "Oregon Federal Tax Liability Hold - Oregon Form 40, 40N, and 40P Federal tax liability subtraction requires a software update. email states to log in to my account and access my return. Nowhere on home page does it allow or give me an option to access my 2020 tax filing records.  I can't even click on anything that gives me an option to click on my home state as earlier suggested. Contacted Customer Service and they can't figure it out. They even accessed what I was looking at on my home page and they were unable to determine the problem. Sure would like to correct my state return and resubmit but the Intruit Turbotax home page will not give me options to access my information.  If Turbotax can't resolve I will have to file my State return manually and request $20 statefiling fee refund from Turbotax.

@Dasbugg  

a $20 state filing fee?????? 

That's only in the Desktop software !   

IF that's the case......You shouldn't even be looking in an Online account for your files. You should be starting up your Desktop software, updating it for the OR changes, and opening your tax file within the Desktop software itself... then re-e-filing OR from there.

You don't check an Online account for your Desktop software tax returns......they are entirely different filing platforms.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thanks so much.  I gave it a shot and it worked. Previously I had contacted two Customer Service Representatives at Turbotax and they were unable to figure it out and get me going.  Really appreciate your taking the time to resolve my problem

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies