Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filerx
Returning Member

TurboTax won't let me change from standard to itemized deduction

The program is not giving me the option to switch to itemizing my deductions, even though I've followed the directions from previous posts.  We have relatively high incomes and deductions, and have itemized deductions every year for decades using TurboTax.  Can't understand why it's using standardized deduction this year. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Take a closer look at the inputs you have made with regard to itemized deductions such as mortgage interest, property taxes, charitable contributions, and medical expenses.  If you expect that they should be high enough to put you over the threshold for claiming itemized deductions, then perhaps there was an input error somewhere.  

Also, you mentioned that you have followed directions from previous posts with regard to changing your deduction.  Just to be sure, take a look at the following TurboTax article for instructions:

How do I change from the standard deduction to itemized (or vice-versa)?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Filerx
Returning Member

Thanks for your quick response.  I'm fairly certain our deductions are high enough to meet the threshold and there don't appear to be any input errors.  I've followed the instructions you sent by TTax doesn't give me an option to "Change my Deduction."

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

The Change my Deduction button will be on the Based on what you just told us, the Standard Deduction is best for you or Based on what you just told us, itemizing deductions is best for you screen. I have attached a picture below for additional guidance. The button is highlighted. 

@Filerx

bg81

I'm having the same problem. TT tells me that itemized is better, acts like it's selecting that deduction... but when I get to the final review, it says I'm taking the standard deduction. And my refund amount reflects the same. How can I fix this before I file?

Could it be this error?  Not able to change deductions

Why am I not getting the itemized deduction when TurboTax tells me it's my best option?

bg81

Thanks. I think so.

ag3203

I get an error when trying to view that page but your description sounds exactly like what I'm seeing. How do I fix it? What does that page say?

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

You can select the alternative deduction by doing the following in TurboTax. I'm not sure what you have tried, but this method allows you to switch your deductions from standard to itemized and vice versa.

Go to "Deductions and Credits" and select "I'll choose what I work on"

Answer the prompts and you will come to the screen that says "You've chosen the itemized deductions" (or "You've chosen the Standard Deduction" in your case). This is where you will make the change.

It will look like this:

Select "Change My Deduction" and then select  which deduction you wish to take.

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies