turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbo tax Not calculating stimulus correctly

Did you get the 1st Stimulus payment last April last Year?  It was for $1200.  If you didn't get that one either then your refund should be 1200+600 = 1800.

Another question.  Did you efile?  If you only get Social Security  you might not be able to efile.  Or did you print and mail your return?  Better check and see if you efiled and it went through.

You can check your efile status here     

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/   

When you efile you get back 2 emails.  The first email only confirms the transmission.  The second email says if the IRS (or state) Accepted or Rejected your efile.

When you log into your account you should also see the status and if it was Accepted or Rejected, Started, Printed, Ready to Mail, etc.  What does it say?

When can I expect the $ $ 600.40

Only the IRS can tell you.  Are you reading all the replies and questions we have posted to you?

I'm stating the fax I'm supposed to get $ 2000. why are they telling me $ 1800.

Yes $ 600. Is on line 30 and for being on Soc. Sec. I get $ 40. For that. Thanks I'll just call the IRS. 

Who is telling you 1800?  Is that the refund showing on your Tax return?  I explained that.  You get 1800 instead of 600.  You get 1800+1400.  The 1400 is separate and comes separately.  

@Paupar58 

if you already received stimulus #1 for $1200 and you did not receive stimulus #2 for $600 and Line 30 of your tax return is $600, than patience is the virtue to practice. 

No one on this board can help you as everything is correct.  Please call the IRS to discuss. 

ps there is no additional $40 for being on social security.  can you please post an article where you read that? 

Screenshot_20210426-185513_Chrome Beta.jpg

I am adding this now because like you said overriding the system would void your guarantee by turbotax and even through the irs put this out there a turbotax expert told me to override it and add the 500÷600 to each one as if I received it when I never did so now I just amended my return last Friday and talked to a turbotax expert this weekend and she doesn't think I should amend it since my ex wife got the payments because she claimed our child in 2019 but I claimed him in 2020 even though I explained to her why I am eligible. I don't think they keep up with all of the tax laws as they come out because I think this one is very significant because it involves 1,100 credit. Why would the irs put this on their website if it weren't correct? I am actually going to wait a few weeks before I send it in because I  received unemployment and paid in taxes and I filed before thay became law and received my refund so I don't want that refund to be delayed. Now with all that said, this mistake was made due to the advice of turbotax do you think that I could lose my guarantee for a employees giving me bad advice?

The IRS is right.  If you are claiming a child on your 2020 return you can get both the 500+600 amounts for him even if you ex got the payments based on her 2019 return.  That is a loophole in the IRS.  You can both get the Stimulus payments.  

You should not need to override your tax return.  If should automatically give it to you if you qualify.  It will be on line 30.  Unless you don't qualify for another reason like if he turned 17 in 2020 or your income is too high.  

That is correct but I didn't know about any of it so that is why I called a "turbotax expert" for advice and they told me to override it so now it's on me to amend my taxes and explain to the irs why I lied to them about overriding the system and adding money. 

I read a lot about people ho underreported stimulus money but how many you think did what I did? Lol..

There keeping the 600 stimulus for back taxs thats not right

mdscott11

Both the IRS and TurboTax are not calculating my stimulus correctly. I filed my 2019 taxes as MFJ and my AGI was less than $150,000. I have 3 dependents (ages 3-10), and that is how it is entered in TurboTax. With 2 adults and 3 dependents I should have received $3,900 for the 1st stimulus and $3,000 for the 2nd, but I received $3,400 for the 1st and $2,400 for the 2nd (one dependent short each time), and that is what TurboTax is saying that I should receive. I clearly have 3 dependents entered . What am I missing?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Your dependents have to be under 17 years old to qualify for the 1st or 2nd stimulus payment, that may be your problem.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

the recovery rebate was listed on the form  i have never received it. the irs reduced my rebate by 1200.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies