turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbo tax Not calculating stimulus correctly

@Jtortora70 - I've learned more about how the IRS is dealing with Line 30 since posting a week ago

Let's say Line 30 is overstated, and that can occur when someone UNDERSTATES the stimulus payments they received, the IRS is adjusted and correcting those returns before sending out the refunds. 

HOWEVER, 

Let's say Line 30 is understated, and that can occur when someone OVERSTATES the stimulus payments they received, the IRS is doing NOTHING.  The only way to get this corrected is via an amendment.  This appears to be your situation!  If I follow correctly, you entered more stimulus than you actually received in a misguided effort to reduce Line 30 to zero, thinking you were not entitled to the money, when you really are!

this FAQ is from the IRS website.....

A1. If you didn't claim the credit on your original tax return, you will need to file an Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, Form 1040-X. The IRS will not calculate the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit for you if you did not enter any amount on your original tax return.

You can use the Interactive Tax Assistant, Should I File an Amended Return?, to help determine if you should amend your original tax return.

If you need to file an amended return to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit, use the worksheet on page 59 of the 2020 instructions for Form 1040 and 1040-SR to determine the amount of your credit. Enter the amount on the Refundable Credits section of the 1040-X and include "Recovery Rebate Credit" in the Explanation of Changes section.

If you filed your 2020 return electronically and need to file an amended return, you may be able to file Form 1040-X electronically.

If you did not file your 2020 return electronically, you will need to submit a paper version of the Form 1040-X and should follow the instructions for preparing and mailing the paper form.

Those filing their Form 1040-X electronically or on paper can use the Where's My Amended Return? online tool to check the status of their amended return.

Yes, that is correct. I was given misg information on how to go about the rebate when it came to claiming my son this year. Now I went to amend my taxes turbo tax is still not allowing me (or anyone) to do this yet. They still have the same post saying they are waiting for the irs for updates and said it would be a week and that was 2 weeks ago. Patience is a virtue for sure when it comes to taxes. Lol

I'm supposed to get $ 2000.back. There telling me I'm only getting $ 1800.00 back. I didn't get the $ 600. But I got 1400. Back & $ 600. Equales $ 2000. Was something deducted.

The 600 was for the 2nd round Stimulus payment.  You should have claimed it on your 2020 tax return.  Check 1040 line 30 for it.  What's on line 30?

The 1,400 is the new 3rd one.  It is not combined with the first 2.  It comes separately and is not part of your tax return.  

So how much refund were you supposed to get on 1040 line 35a?  Did they send you less?  Do not include the 1400.

Sounds to me like your tax return was for 1800?  That would be for both the 1st and 2nd rounds, 1200+600=1800.  The 3rd 1400 is in addition to the 1800.  

I field the 19 the of Feb. For the six hundred because I'm on Soc Sec. 

I haven't got the $ 600. Yet there telling me the total is $ 1800. That's not right unless something was deducted.

I got $ 1400. & $ 600. Equales $2000.

Where's the $ 600. I'm still waiting

I'm not the only one complaining.

The IRS is taking a long time for everyone.  

If your return was Accepted then check IRS Where's my refund

https://www.irs.gov/refunds/

When will you get your refund?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/when-will-i-get-my-irs-tax-refund/01/25589

IRS - Questions about Refunds

https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

Why haven't I got my $ 600. Yet.

@Paupar58 

what is on Line 30 of your tax return?  if $600, then be patient.

if another number, let's all discuss further 

I can't get threw the sight not excepting my info. You said my total is $ 1800. That's not right.

@Paupar58 - I am trying to help you and really can't unless you can tell us what is on Line 30.

I can tell you that based on what you have stated, if Line 30 is MORE THAN $600, then you are in a audit queue at the IRS since Line 30 is incorrect.

if line 30 is LESS THAN $600, it will require an amendment to get the money.

but again, please just 'take a chill pill' and answer the question so we can help you.  Ranting won't get you anywhere! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies