Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mstarks01

TT does not appear to be applying eligibility reqs for the electric car tax credit properly. How can I get this resolved?

I was divorced in 2023. My AGI for 2022 was within the limits of the credit for a married person, but not in 2023 for a single person. However, the IRS states:

If your filing status changes between the preceding year and the current year, you may claim the New Clean Vehicle Credit if your modified AGI is less than or equal to the threshold applicable to your filing status for in the preceding year or current year.

By my reading I should be eligible. Thoughts?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

TT does not appear to be applying eligibility reqs for the electric car tax credit properly. How can I get this resolved?

Energy forms are not ready yet

Click Review to see if you are missing some forms needed in order to e-file.

Many federal and state forms are not yet available.  Check here for form availability. The dates are subject to change.

Tax form availability tool,

No hurry to e-file since the IRS will not begin to accept/reject 2023 e-files until January 29.   And….a state return cannot be accepted until after the IRS accepts your federal return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The IRS Form 8936 Clean Vehicle Credit for tax year 2023 has not been finalized in TurboTax.

The form is scheduled to be available on 02/21/2024.

Go to this TurboTax website for forms availability - https://form-status.app.intuit.com/tax-forms-availability/formsavailability?albRedirect=true&product...

mstarks01

Thank you for the super prompt and helpful answer!

TurboTax doesn't seems to support using filing status from a previous year. Is there an update coming to address this?

here is a related thread:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-clean-vehicle-credit/01/3217201/highlight/fals...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies