Where do i put in my childcare expenses

Where do i put in my childcare expenses

To enter your childcare expenses, please refer below.

To Add a Childcare Provider in TurboTax Online:

1. Go to "Federal Taxes" at the top of the screen

2. Select "Deductions & Credits"

3. Scroll down to "You and Your Family" and select "Show More"

4. Select "Start" next to "Child and Dependent Care Credit"

5. Select "Yes" to "Did you pay for child or dependent care in 2016?"

6. Select "Continue" on the Add Dependents page and proceed to enter your info for the credit

For general information on the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit visit this link: Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit

Where do i put in my childcare expenses

2. Select "Deductions & Credits"

Where do i put in my childcare expenses

But the dependent that I need to add expenses for is not listed on the drop down menu?? Help!

Where do i put in my childcare expenses

CHILD AND DEPENDENT CARE CREDIT

One of the most common mistakes that messes up the childcare credit for people is listing all of the earned income under only one name on a joint return.  Make very sure that your incomes are listed under each of your names.  It’s pretty easy to check.  Go to the Income section, and click “update” on Wages and Salary.  That will take you to the W-2 Summary.  Do you see income listed under both of your names? 

A few other things—the childcare credit is not a refund.  It can reduce your taxes owed.  If you were self-employed, but showed a loss, you will not receive the credit. 

The person receiving the care had to be 12 or under or qualified as mentally or physically disabled. To claim the childcare credit you need to be filing as Head of Household or Married Filing Jointly. (NOT married filing separately)

If your child was born in 2017 make sure you say the child lived with you all year. The credit is a percentage of your expenses based on your AGI (the higher the income, the lower the percentage)  You must provide the Social Security number for each child you are claiming, and the Social Security number or Tax ID for each care provider.  You can claim a maximum of $6000 in expenses for 2 or more dependents.

*You can see the amount of the childcare credit you received on line 31 of your 1040A, or on line 49 of your 1040.

Where do i put in my childcare expenses

Thank you!

Where do i put in my childcare expenses

Thank you for your response.  I checked and the income is under 2 W2s, one for me and one for my spouse.  My son is 12 during half of the year in 2017, and 13 during the other half.  But I thought at least I could deduct the portion when he was 12.

Where do i put in my childcare expenses

Sorry--it does not work that way.  If he turned 13 in 2017 you cannot get the childcare credit for 2017.

Where do i put in my childcare expenses

If you have no tax due, it is a non-refundable credit. It can bring your amount owed to zero, but it does not become a refund.