turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bobb

Turbotax is saying my wife had a lapse in our HDHP coverage in 2018 and wants to know why. we didnt have a lapse..where do they get that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Turbotax is saying my wife had a lapse in our HDHP coverage in 2018 and wants to know why. we didnt have a lapse..where do they get that?

When going through the HSA interview, you will get to a screen entitled "What type of High Deductible Health Plan did [spouse] have on December 1st 2017?" If your spouse was covered under your health insurance plan, then you should select "nonenot "family or self-only." You are selecting none because your spouse does not have their own coverage; they are covered under your plan.  If you select one of the other options, then you will get the notification about a coverage lapse. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies

When going through the HSA interview, you will get to a screen entitled "What type of High Deductible Health Plan did [spouse] have on December 1st 2017?" If your spouse was covered under your health insurance plan, then you should select "nonenot "family or self-only." You are selecting none because your spouse does not have their own coverage; they are covered under your plan.  If you select one of the other options, then you will get the notification about a coverage lapse. 

bobb

thanks.   they need to reword that question.
M-a-t-t

I agree, they need to reword that question. 

Meade82

We are having the same question/comment

my husband had his own plan through his employer and I have a plan through my employer that covers myself and our kids. It is saying that I had a lapse in coverage? How do I correct this?

Meade82

It is giving me the same comment. My husband has his policy for his self through his employer. I also have a policy through my employer that covers myself and our children but it is saying I had a lapse in coverage? How do I fix this

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@Meade82 You may have inadvertently checked a box you didn't want to in the HSA interview.  Your husband would indicate 'Self ' for his HDHP coverage.  You would indicate 'Family' for yours.

TurboTax also asks about the Prior Year and if there was a combination of coverages, so it can be a bit confusing here.

Type 'hsa' in the Search area, then click on 'Jump to hsa' and review the whole section.

Click this link for more info on HDHP Lapse in Coverage that may help you. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Indeed.

This is a HORRIBLY worded question.

EVERYONE will choose "Family" if their spouse is covered under a Family plan.  It is TOTALLY non-intuitive - which completely misses the point of using this software.

Resorting to Google to figure something out in TurboTax represents a COMPLETE FAILURE of the software to achieve it's PRIMARY goal.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies