Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

stimulus check for child born in 2021



My daughter was born April 2021. Can I claim a credit for both the 2nd and 3rd stimulus checks, since the 3rd stimulus check is a continuation of the 2nd stimulus check?

3 Replies
New Member

stimulus check for child born in 2021


Level 15

stimulus check for child born in 2021

You cannot get any of the second stimulus check since it was based on a 2020 return  and the third stimulus payment will be received on the 2021 return for any child born in 2021  ....   you cannot amend the 2020 return for the stimulus payments.  


As for the advance of the 2021 CTC  eventually you should be able to use the IRS portal to add the child  however if you cannot then you will simply get it on the 2021 return  ...

Opus 17
Level 15

stimulus check for child born in 2021

The "3rd stimulus" is only a "continuation" in the sense that it was a campaign promise.  The 3 stimulus payments were created by three separate laws.  A child born in 2021 is only eligible for round 3.  


Round 3 stimulus payments are only being made based on 2020 tax return information, there is no way to enroll your child for a stimulus payment.  Instead, you can claim a $1400 recovery rebate on your 2021 tax return.  See the FAQs on this page.


Your child will also be eligible for the enhanced child tax credit ($3600) and the advance payments.  However, the IRS site to enroll your newborn is not ready yet.  If you don't get the full amount of the advance payments, the child tax credit will be reconciled on your 2021 tax return.  Getting the advance payments doesn't change how much you receive, just when you receive it.   This is the site where you would manage your advance CTC payments, although the function to "add a newborn" is not ready yet.


Your child will need a social security number before you can receive the recovery rebate or enroll in advance CTC payments. 

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings