Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Schedule A, Line 18 checkbox

I too am experiencing this issue - it started after I checked the "change my deduction" to see the difference between itemizing and the standard deduction.  

I am using the mac download version of Home & Business 2023.  Fed version 2023.16036.  Unfortunately this issue is preventing me from being able to file my taxes today.  :(

In the forms view go to the "Info Wks" -> "Part VI - Additional Information for Your Federal Return" and uncheck the first box that says "Check this box if you are itemizing for state tax or other purposes even though your itemized deductions are less than your standard deduction".

I was not able to get Turbo Tax to recognize this change when making it in the EasyStep workflow and was only able to make the change in the Info Wks section of the forms view.

Hope this helps.

Hello everybody.  Has anyone actually looked at Schedule A to see if it is showing more than the Standard Deduction?  Maybe some if the deductions are limited.  Couple other things.  What is your filing status and are you a dependent?  

Thank you user289091.

Your recommendation to go to the "Info Wks" allowed me to uncheck the box that was the issue/prblem with line 18 on Schedule A on my Federal Tax file.

Hope this solution works for others as well.

Brownfan1

The solution recommended by user289091 for the Schedule A Line 18 worked for me.

Hope you issue also has been resolved.

Hi Rob_23,

Thank you very much for your reply and to user 289091 for your advice and solution.  It has solved my Schedule A "checkbox" issue also!

86Add

Thank you user289091.

Your recommendation to go to the "Info Wks" allowed me to uncheck the box that was the issue/prblem with line 18 on Schedule A on my Federal Tax file.

Hope this solution works for others as well

Hopefully Intuit will fix this issue as it's easy to miss if you don't review the form itself. The Info sheet part 6 was editable for me as well.

Was a fix made?  I am still having trouble.  My itemized deductions are a bit more than the standard deduction and even thought turbo is using and bringing forward the higher (correct) amount from Schedule A, it is still checking box 18 on Sch A ".. elect to itemize deductions even though they are less than standard deduction..." .  My itemized deductions are more than, not less than the std of 13,850. 

I was late to the game, thank you, the fix via Info Wks worked for me too! Thank you user289091!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies