turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schedule A, Line 18 checkbox

Itemized deductions on Schedule A exceed the taxpayer standard deduction by approximately $6,000.  However, the Line 18 checkbox on Schedule A is checked by TurboTax indicating that itemized deductions have been selected even though less than the standard deduction.  Clearly this is incorrect and the checkbox should be left blank.

I am unable to remove this checkbox "check" through either the TurboTax interview process or an override.  I would appreciate guidance on how to remove it.

Thank you. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

24 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Have you gone through the review yet?    How to switch from standard to itemized or vice versa

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes - multiple times.  While preparing the return initially, itemized deductions that were entered into the return did not exceed the standard deduction because all deduction information was not yet available.  The return was consequently saved with the standard deduction exceeding itemized deductions.  However, now additional information is available and itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction as referenced in my initial comment.

When going through the review process, TurboTax indicates that itemized deductions are recommended (as it should), however the change my deduction checkbox is "checked".  I uncheck this box as I do not want to change from itemized deductions.  However, when viewing Schedule A, the Line 18 checkbox remains "checked".

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

It looks like you are on the Desktop version of TurboTax.  Please use the FORMs mode to check these entries.

The box being checked seems to be the right solution for you

• You agree that the Itemized deductions are the correct solution.
  • A check in Box 18 confirms that the Itemized deduction will be taken.
  • Please check your Form 1040.
    • The Standard vs Itemized Deduction is on line 12

To change the Box 18 election

1. Log into TurboTax
  2. Under PERSONAL
  3. Select Deductions and Credits
  4. Scroll to the very bottom of the list
  5. Click Done with Deductions
  6. Continue through several questions
  7. You will have the option to select Itemized Deductions over  the Standard deduction.

Thank you for your response JohnB5677, however I believe you may have misunderstood my situation. 

Schedule A, Line 18 states "If you elect to itemize deductions even though they are less than your standard deduction, check this box".  As indicated in my initial post, itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction by approximately $6,000.  Consequently, checking the Schedule A Line 18 box is incorrect.  I have gone through the interview questions after "Done with Deductions" multiple times to remove the checkbox, have gone into the Forms menu and tried to remove the checkbox - all to no avail.  

Possibly I have a corrupted file?  If not, this appears to be a TurboTax program error.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are correct.  The answer was a way to show you how to remove the check box if you are using TurboTax Desktop. You simply follow the instructions by changing to Forms, then scroll to line 18 on Schedule A and remove the checkbox. This should clear your error and then check your Form 1040, Line 12 to see if the itemized deductions are being used. 

A second option would be to delete the Schedule A, then enter your deductions again in the step-by-step section.

You'll need to delete this form --------------------. 

• If you're using TurboTax CD\Download software and need to delete a form, click here

@Brownsfan1 (Go Browns!)

Thank you for your response DianeW777.  I am using the TurboTax desktop version.   

I guess I will need to try the second option - i.e. deleting Schedule A and re-entering the itemized deductions.  I have tried every other suggested method to clear the checkbox.  First via the interview process after "Done with Deductions" and second going directly into Forms "Schedule A" (the program will not allow me "uncheck" the Line 18 checkbox directly on the Schedule A), all to no avail.

A follow up to my last post -

I was unable to delete the Schedule A.  Went into "Forms", clicked on "Schedule A" and then clicked on "Delete this Form".  It appeared that the program was deleting the Schedule A, however I then exited "Forms" and went into to "step by step", then back to "Forms" to see if the Schedule A had actually been deleted and the Schedule A was still part of the tax return.  The tax return Line 12 amount did not change at all, e.g. it indicated the same amount as prior to attempting to delete Schedule A (e.g. the Schedule A itemized deductions amount).

I then deleted the entire tax file and re-entered all data (income and expenses) into a new file.  The Schedule A Line 18 checkbox is checked when it should not be (e.g. itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction).  Clearly this appears to be a TurboTax program error. 

I would appreciate it if someone could review the program coding (maybe a bad recent update).  Thank you.  

I am having the same exact problem. When I get to the end of the Deductions and Credits section, there is the following heading:

"You've Chosen Itemized Deductions

• Based on what you've told us, your itemized deductions of $XX are your best option because they will save you money more than the standard deduction of  $XX.
  • What you're getting: Federal Itemized Deductions"

There is a box that is automatically checked "Change my deduction Why would I change my deduction?"

This is followed by the statement and options:

"Unless you're sure you need to take the standard deduction, you should stick with itemized deductions (followed by these two options)

• itemized deductions of $XXX (Recommended)
  • Standard deduction of $XX"

When I uncheck the box indicating "Change My deduction" the lower selection items go away. Then I hit continue and complete the next section.

When I check the forms, the box on line 18 on the Schedule A form is still checked. When I reenter the deductions section of TurboTax the box for "Change my deduction"  is automatically checked again.

I have also tried leaving the checked box for "Change my deduction"  then select "itemized deductions" in the next option, then continue.  When I complete my entries, on the Schedule A form the box on line 18 remains checked.

Would appreciate any additional help beyond that provided in this chat so far.

Thanks for your post RobE_23.  I wish I had better news but I have not found a solution.  It seems that it must be a program coding issue.  Hopefully a TurboTax employee that monitors this forum will confirm whether or not it is an issue with the TurboTax program.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

When you delete a form, the program holds important information and repopulates it when it thinks is best. To clear the sch A, you would need to delete enough entries to make the program let go of the sch A.

Once you get rid of the sch A, close the program. Update the program. Then make the entries again. You should not be having this issue, There is something odd happening. Maybe a download or disc issue. Hopefully - an update after deleing the form will fix it.

@RobE_23  @Brownsfan1 

Thank you for your response AmyC.  As part of troubleshooting, I previously deleted the entire respective TurboTax file and re-entered all data into a new file (both income and expenses).  The problem still persists.  All program updates appear to be downloaded.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Did you transfer in your 2022 return when you prepared both returns?    Since I can't recreate the issue, I would need a diagnostic copy of your return to take a deeper look.   You can create a sanitized copy of your return (tax file) with all of your personal information removed.   The token file will only contain numbers, no personally identifying information is transmitted.   I will leave the instructions below to generate the diagnostic copy and if you are still having this issue, you can reply with the token number, so someone can get this resolved as you should be able to switch your deduction.   @Brownsfan1 

1. Open your return
  2. Click the Online tab in the black bar across the top of TurboTax 
  3. Select “Send Tax File to Agent” - You will see a message that a diagnostic copy will be created
  4. Click on OK >> the tax file will be sanitized and a token number generated
  5. Please reply to this message with that token number

Hello DawnC

I did transfer in my 2022 taxes when preparing my 2023 taxes. Line 18 in Schedule A was NOT checked on my 2022. taxes; my itemized deductions were more than the standard deduction.

I prepared my 2023 (and 2022) on a desktop version of TurboTax. Can I still follow your instructions for generating a diagnostic sanitized copy?

Rob_23

DawnC:

I am joining this thread because I am having the exact same issue with the Schedule A Line 18 checkbox. 

I have created a sanitized version of my return here:  1221591

I am using the desktop version of the Premier edition.

Everything else you need to know should be in the sanitized tax return.

Thanks for looking into this!  As a retired software engineer this sure looks like a bug in the software, but maybe we all made the same mistake.  Hope you find it.

- Barry66

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies