turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

johngate
Returning Member

Schedule 8812: Advance payments received must be entered? / Principal Place of Abode and Letter 6416 Information Smart Worksheet

Why doesn't it ask?  Otherwise very confusing to those who don't know they have to search the internet for TT instructions.

JillS56
Expert Alumni

Schedule 8812: Advance payments received must be entered? / Principal Place of Abode and Letter 6416 Information Smart Worksheet

You do not want to delete the form.  This year everyone has to answer the question about Advanced Child Tax Credit.   All you have to do is to enter a "0" in the box.  Even though you have no children or dependents on your tax return, you might have received advance Child Tax Credit payments. When the error comes up, just enter zero for the advance payments you received. That will eliminate the error.

@johngate

If the user has already made it crystal clear that they don't have any dependents and claim no child tax credit, it's idiotic to ask about this advance payment. This is a requirements defect at Intuit.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Everyone has to answer whether they received advance child tax credit payments.

There are scenarios where taxpayers receive the advance child tax credit payments in 2021 but do not qualify for the Child Tax Credit on their 2021 Federal tax return.

If you did not receive any of those payments between July and December, report that you received $0.

@skywire

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@skywire wrote:

If the user has already made it crystal clear that they don't have any dependents and claim no child tax credit, it's idiotic to ask about this advance payment. This is a requirements defect at Intuit.

It's not a defect. If you "don't have any dependents and claim no child tax credit," you still could have received advance child tax credit payments.

SAme thing happened to me. I am so done with TurboTax. Switching to H&R Block next year. 

Chandler4

I am entering 0 for the advance payments.  When I run the smart check again, turbotax brings me back to the form again.   its an endless loop.  some of the entries on the from show up as 0.  and others as 0 

How do I get turbo tax to accept the numbers and move on?

@Chandler4 wrote:

I am entering 0 for the advance payments.  When I run the smart check again, turbotax brings me back to the form again.   its an endless loop.  some of the entries on the from show up as 0.  and others as 0 

How do I get turbo tax to accept the numbers and move on?

After you enter the 0 for the advanced child tax credit and are back on the screen for smart check click on Done and continue.

Chandler4

when I try to TRANSMIT my return, turbo tax forces me to do one more check and then it takes me back to form 8812.  It already had 0 entered on all the spaces.  I re-enter the 0 and then it takes me back to the TRANSMIT screen.  

When I hit TRANSMIT, it takes me back to form 8812.  It is in an endless loop.  How do I get it to transmit the returns?

Chandler4

when I go into the FORMs mode, it shows me that there is an error on form 8812.  then instructions say that the line should be blank.  there is no way to clear it.  

Turbo tax do not allow me to Transmit my Returns to file them with this error.  

@Chandler4 wrote:

when I go into the FORMs mode, it shows me that there is an error on form 8812.  then instructions say that the line should be blank.  there is no way to clear it.  

Turbo tax do not allow me to Transmit my Returns to file them with this error.  

Delete the Schedule 8812.  There is a delete form button at the bottom of the form page.  Return to the step-by-step interview.

Go back through the child tax credit section and enter 0's for any CTC questions again.  It should be OK and not ask again for any more CTC information so that you can file the tax return.

Click on Federal Taxes
Click on Deductions & Credits
Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
Under You and Your Family
On Child and Other Dependent Tax Credit, click on the start or update button

JillS56
Expert Alumni

Go to the Deductions and Credit section of the federal section.   Click on Advance payments, Child and Other Dependent Tax Credits, and click on Edit.   Click on Continue and then on the screen We'll start off with advance Child Tax Credit payments.  Then answer Yes or No to the question Did you or Jack receive any advance Child Tax Credit payments from the IRS in 2021?  Then click on Continue.  

It will ask you the questions about the amount of advanced child tax credit you received if you answered Yes.   If you answered No it will proceed.  Then it will ask you about your principal place of abode.   Once you go through this section, it should clear up the error you keep getting.

I've entered 0.00 several times and it does NOT make the error go away.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Don't enter zero, tell the system that you did not receive the payments.  The system reads zero as a payment that you received.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I don't see a way to do this.  I can go to the form and try to make an entry, but don't see where I can tell TT that I didn't receive a payment. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies