Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Schedule 8812: Advance payments received must be entered? / Principal Place of Abode and Letter 6416 Information Smart Worksheet

@michaelram27 wrote:

why is it giving me anything if I have 0 dependents and Single in my profile on the 1040?

If Line 28 on your Form 1040 is 0 or blank then you are not receiving any type of Child Tax Credit.

Schedule 8812: Advance payments received must be entered? / Principal Place of Abode and Letter 6416 Information Smart Worksheet

My Federal Review was started before  completing the interview regarding the third stimulus check (received in 2021) as per IRS Letter 6475. Now I am also dealing with this problem. I'm single, no dependents.

@michaelram27 wrote:

My Federal Review was started before  completing the interview regarding the third stimulus check (received in 2021) as per IRS Letter 6475. Now I am also dealing with this problem. I'm single, no dependents.

Everyone is being asked this question since TurboTax does not know if the user was one who received these advances from the IRS in 2021.

Enter a 0 (zero) when asked to enter a number on the Schedule 8812. This will correct the issue and remove the Schedule 8812 from your tax return so that you can file the return.

Thanks. Yes, I'm red-faced.

Thank you. Maybe this will teach me to leave my verbal phaser set to stun. I can always turn out to be mistaken.

Nataleigh7
Returning Member

I'm so confused? My husband and I divorced in 2020. We were married for 15 years, we have two sons and agreed that we each would claim one on our tax returns. He claimed one as did I the other one, he passed in July 2021 sadly, he was still claiming or shall I say receiving the child tax credit for our other child which his mother emptied out his account and never reimbursed us the money for my other son. I am the custodial party he was a non-custodial party. I got CTC for one child in 2021, as for my other son I don't know what to do. They both lived with me that year however we agreed to each claim one on taxes just to be fair. I just filed my taxes yesterday and remembered that I was told to let someone know about my other son to get those lost CTC for my other son that my spouse claimed on his 2020 taxes on this year's 2022 return, I do know that he did receive the first CTC in July we talked about that the week before he passed away in July of 2021. Now I am not sure if I should amend my return that was just filed yesterday and complete form 8812 or wait, not sure how to receive those credits back or what exactly I should do. His mother closed his bank account and withdrew all the funds did not receive anything for one of my sons. Ughhh. HELP!!

HopeS
Expert Alumni

If you are comfortable that your son was not claimed by his father on his 2021 return you can Amend your 2021 and claim him since you are now the custodial parent,

However, you only claim him if the qualifying child tests are met:

• he has had the same principal abode as you for more than ½ the tax year. Temporary absences like school are ignored
• if he is not a full-time student, he's under 19 at the end of the tax year. If a full-time student, he's under 24 at the end of the tax year.
• he hasn't provided over ½ his own support
• his gross income for 2021 is less than $4,300
• you provided over ½ his support

Once you determined that you can claim your son you can Amend your return by filing Form 1040X and including Form 8812. See the below instructions for Form 8812:

Form 8812

Please also review the instruction for Form 8332 release/revocation of Claim to Exemption for the child. This may not be applicable.

Form 8332

@Nataleigh7 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@Nataleigh7 

Even though your ex-husband passed in 2021, someone had to file a 2021 tax return for him. (Maybe his mother filed it?) Based on your agreement to each claim one child, your ex was still entitled to claim the one son on his final tax return for 2021, and to get the advance payments and the child tax credit for the one son that he claimed. The CTC was not lost. It was legitimately claimed on your ex's final tax return. So I don't think you can get the CTC for 2021.

For 2022, no tax return will be filed for your ex, so you can claim both children for 2022.

If your divorce decree says anything specifically about claiming the children in the year that one parent passes, that might change the picture. You could check with your divorce lawyer.

Nataleigh7
Returning Member

@HopeS ok yes I see, ok yes thank you I actually have always had them living w me& custodial since we split. They both def qualify as my dependents as of all the requirements. The last tax return I did w only one child was for 2020, bc their Dad was still alive until July 2021, a week after the first month the CTCs were deposited. That would leave August September October November & December of 2021 where he was not alive and did not file a tax return in 21 however the credits did go to his bank I am sure of that part even though he was deceased. I claimed both children on my 2021 taxes last year since he had already passed 6+mo ago. At that time there was nothing in place to refund the CTC on the IRS website, it said to make changes to your dependants including having another child that was born or a  adding new dependent info will be coming soon so that I could have added my other son. However that time never came they never made a way to get those credits back last year for 2021s ACTCs. I remember explaining this to one of my clients that is an accountant and asking how to fix this problem, and she told me on this year's taxes there should be a way to claim him and get that money back. As I was going through the motions on TurboTax it asked me how much I received and it had the amounts for one child it didn't pick up that last year and this year I claimed both kids &never received credit for my other son that year. Anyway so should I amend my 2021 return& claim both since that was the year he passed away and was alive 1/2 a year that he claimed my son for the year prior, (the last year he was here for taxes was 2020) it was also the year ACTC began the month he passed.I did claim him in 2021 but there was no where on the tax forms to add a dependent for that at that time.. so much time has passed I just forgot to see if I could get that credit back and now I already sent 22s taxes .  I should go back and amend one of the prior returns and add the 8812. Just not sure if I should do 20or 21s.. thank you so much for all the info you've been a great help! 

Nataleigh7
Returning Member

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/_92 

@rjs actually the year he passed he did not have a job in 2020 or 21 to even file taxes he did not file a final tax return neither did she for him his mother just let it be done. So in that case yes it is owed to someone because she took that money from his account that they paid him as a deceased text payer that had a child dependent that was not living however I was taking care of the child during that time and always have for 16 years. I actually talked to another tax expert and someone else that is an accountant and they also told me the same thing that the above stated I have to amend my prior year tax return because in our divorce decree it clearly states that I am allowing him to claim one child and I will claim one for tax purposes. I agreed on that because had he paid child support or had one or either of our children by any of visitation guidelines then he would be entitled to tax credits but he did not he didn't even have a job at the time of his passing sadly. It never says about anything about either one of us dying though we kept it plain and simple as we could have for being married for 15 years, so thank you for your help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies