Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pbolton44

S2-F1040-394 - how do I fix this

My federal return was rejected based on the first time homebuyer credit - which I entered as I have in previous years
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Check this IRS site to see what is still on account as due for repayment of the First Time Home Buyers Credit.  It may be that you have an incorrect amount listed for the repayment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the web site. Unfortunately, they say they unable to help me on line. I have no idea what they are talking about. The house purchase we made in 2008 was about our 10 th home purchase and there is no way I would have applied for 1st time buyer credit. It has never been mentioned in 13 years of filings. Sorry to bore you with this but you seem to have some knowledge of the subject. Thanks for your help.

If you received a message about the First Time Homebuyer Credit, it means that TurboTax has performed a check on the IRS database, and the software was told that there is a payment due for the Primary SSN on the return.

The first time homebuyer credit made it easier to pay your taxes by lowering your amount due when you buy a house.  It's not a gift, like many other credits and deductions.  It can be that you don't remember or didn't realize that you had taken this credit back in 2008, but the IRS rejected the 2020 return because of it.  

If you bought your home and qualified for the homebuyer credit in 2008, it must be repaid as an additional tax on your federal tax return at the rate of 6 2/3%, or 1/15 of your credit amount. The annual repayments would be $500 per year if you received the maximum $7,500 credit.

Here is a TurboTax article about the first time homebuyer credit.

The IRS has a direct online lookup tool to view the First Time Homebuyer Information. Access the lookup tool and make appropriate changes.  After you've made the changes, re-submit your return electronically.

If the reject continues, you'll be unable to electronically file and will need to print and mail this return.

Related Information:

@aviator650

@pbolton44

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies