turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lmartin77

Can I file for a standard deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Yes, unless you enter itemized deductions in excess of the Standard Deduction, TurboTax will automatically choose the Standard for your filing status.

Beginning on your 2018 Tax Return, the Standard Deduction has been increased to the following amounts based on your filing status:

• Single/Married File Separate- $12,000
  • Head of Household- $18,000
  • Married Filing Joint- $24,000

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Yes.  Everyone gets the Standard Deduction unless their Itemized Deductions are more.  Turbo Tax automatically gives it to you as soon as start.
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Yes, unless you enter itemized deductions in excess of the Standard Deduction, TurboTax will automatically choose the Standard for your filing status.

Beginning on your 2018 Tax Return, the Standard Deduction has been increased to the following amounts based on your filing status:

• Single/Married File Separate- $12,000
  • Head of Household- $18,000
  • Married Filing Joint- $24,000
Returning Member

I asked the "How do I choose the Standard Deduction?" I know I don't have enough deductions to require itemized so I prefer to optout. This is a simple question but you, instead of a direct answer, talk about how you automatically do that, the difference between standard and itemized, how to switch from standard to itemized, and several other topics which don't answer my question. You mention how easy it is to switch from standard to itemized and vice versa, but you don't say how. What is the answer to my question? 

@11081099 The software automatically uses the standard deduction--you do not have to do anything to choose it.  Unless you "force" itemized deductions or have enough itemized deductions to exceed your standard deduction you will get the standard deduction without lifting a finger to choose it.  See line 9 on your Form 1040.

And---this is a public web site.  Everyone can see it.  Return to your post and click those three little blue dots on the upper right so you can edit out your name and personal information.  Luckily the filter already removed your email address.

2019 Standard Deduction Amounts

Single $12,200   (+ $1650 65 or older)

Married Filing Separate  $12,200   (+ $1300 if 65 or older)

Married Filing Jointly $24,400   (+ $1300 for each spouse 65 or older)

Head of Household $18,350  (+ $1650 for 65 or older)

(Also + $1650 if legally blind)

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies