turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mkelly1717
Returning Member

Why does 1009-R Box7 Code H trigger a taxable event?

Box7 Code H is listed on my 1099-R for a "Roth 401k to Roth IRA" rollover, but the entire amount shows up in the taxable income.  When I right click to go to the source of that calculation, the popup lists the correct amount, but the number on the form is wrong.  I have already submitted a ticket on this, but wanted to list it here in case anyone else encounters it, or finds something I might be missing.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Where do you see it as taxable income?   Code H should be on the 1040 line 4a not 4b.

The summary screen shows total gross income, both taxable and not taxable.

Look on the 1040 form line 4b for the taxable amount.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
mkelly1717
Returning Member

4a and b are zero, which is correct.  4c contains '401k distribution' and 'Roth 401k rollover to roth IRA', but then 4d contains exactly 2x the 401k distribution.  If I delete the rollover, then the 401k distribution changes to the correct amount.

mkelly1717
Returning Member

If I make up a number like 50k for 401k distribution, then the 1099-R summary line 26 shows correct as 50k.  If I create another 1099-R for a code H rollover that's even just 1 dollar, then that line 26 doubles to 100k as soon as I enter the Code H, which is not correct.  That's the problem I submitted, and tried to describe above.

Sorry, I meant line 4c and 4d (the new lines for 2019).

Did you also enter a code G 1099-R?

@dmertz - does this sound like the code "H" bug report that you submitted that creates a double taxable amount?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@mkelly1717 

Keep any eye on this...it's being worked on  (But may not cover all situations):

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-is-my-1099-r-income-being-taxed-twice/00/98652...

@macuser_22   dmertz has a discussion in the lounge covering at least one situation that this occurs for...so yeah, it's being worked on

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@mkelly1717 - See this new TurboTax article:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-is-my-1099-r-income-being-taxed-twice/00/98652...

dmertz
Level 15

Yes, this is the code H bug I reported.  A possible workaround is to delete all Forms 1099-R and enter the code H Form 1099-R first, followed by the other Forms 1099-R.

mkelly1717
Returning Member

Y'all are awesome.  This does sound exactly like what is coined as the "the code H bug … that creates a double taxable amount".  An hour ago I got a notification of an update, and guess what is magically gone?  ….The double taxable amount from a Code 2 1099-R, when a Code H 1099-R is also present.  My wife is convinced that my problem submittal 2hrs ago caused this update, but I know that software fixes, compiling, and rollouts don't happen that fast.

As far as my experimentation has gone, this update solved the Code H problem, at least for my case.  I'm pleased and impressed that this was already being worked on.  Thank you all so much. 

My 2nd submitted problem, the "1099-R Code 2B" problem where TurboTax flags the 2nd code "B" as an error, is still there, but it doesn't impact my return enough for me to make a fuss about it, but all the experts will still want to know its still there. 

Thanks again, everyone.  TurboTax makes tax preparation almost enjoyable, at least for a modestly OCD former Engineer  :^)

dmertz
Level 15

The code 2B issue is likely that when asked if the distribution was from a Roth IRA you mistakenly answered Yes.  This is a trick question by TurboTax since code B indicates that the distribution is not from a Roth IRA but is instead a distribution from a designated Roth account in a qualified retirement plan like a 401(k).  Go back and edit the code 2B Form 1099-R and be sure to answer No when asked if the distribution is from a Roth IRA.

I've complained about this issue for years and Intuit refuses to eliminate the unnecessary question, saying that the it's not a TurboTax problem that the user answered the question incorrectly.  It trips up many people every year.

mkelly1717
Returning Member

Again, awesome.  That worked. 

Thanks.

dmertz
Level 15

I concur that the code H bug appears to have been fixed in today's update, R14.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies