Re: Where do I put my student loans in and my char...

kttraver17

Where do I put my student loans in and my charity donations?

You are posting from the Free Edition, which does not support entering either of those.  So you will have to upgrade if you want to enter them..

Enter the interest you paid for your student loan by going to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Education>Student Loan Interest Paid in 2019 (Form 1098E)

Donations:  Federal>Deductions and Credits>Charitable Donations>Donations to Charity in 2019

Note:  Donations are an itemized deduction.  Unless you have enough other "big ticket" itemized deductions like mortgage interest, property tax , etc.  to exceed your standard deduction, donations will have no effect.

WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY?  I WANT THE FREE EDITION

The information that you can enter in Free Edition is pretty limited now.  Thanks to the new tax laws that began for 2018 returns, there are no more simple Form 1040EZ or 1040A's.  Everything goes on a Form 1040 that has three extra "schedules" with it, and if you need any of those schedules, you are not able to use the Free Edition.  Using the standard deduction instead of itemizing does NOT mean you will not need any of those schedules.

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1040 

If you qualify to use it, there is another full-featured free version of the software:

Try Free File: 

You qualify if your income was $36,000 or less, or $69,000 or less if active duty military, or if you qualify for Earned Income Credit

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-turbotax-free-file-program

If you switch to Free File you must create a new account and new user ID.