Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TurboTax says I can't e-file state return because my return claims a solar and wind energy credit carryover. I don't have energy credit carryover.

@OrrieF just wanted to make sure to tag you!

NysHeather
Returning Member

TurboTax says I can't e-file state return because my return claims a solar and wind energy credit carryover. I don't have energy credit carryover.

I'm having the same issue. Says I can't efile for nys for the solar credit. How can I fix please?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

@NysHeather

You may have a form 5695, Residential Energy Credit, or New York form  IT-255 in your program from a previous year. If you think it does not apply to you, you can delete the forms as follows:

A simple way to delete forms in TurboTax online is to use the Tax Tools menu option, which is on your left menu bar when you are working in your program. Then, choose Tools and then Delete a form.

If you are working in the download TurboTax program, use the Forms Mode on your menu bar to bring up the form you want to delete, then choose the Delete Form option at the bottom of the form.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
AKHOZOURI

I am having the same error but don't have any of those forms to delete?

I am having the same problem. Nothing is working!!!!!!!!

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

@AKHOZOURI and @dugan1979 can you please clarify what state returns you are trying to e-file, Are you filing a New York return?

maniu9090

I've looked the same.  NYS wont file due to solar credit carryover.  I dont have nor ever had this credit.  I went into the tax tools forms and dont have either of the two forms mentioned above.  

Very frustrating that I cant file... 

Finally got it to work by searching old

thread posts 

If you have an on-line version of Turbotax, you can't see lines so you have to go to the section "Other Tax Credits" then "Non-Refundable Credits".  After you get to that section, make sure those boxes are blank!  I had zeros in both boxes.  

For New York filers:

View > Forms > Scroll down and select IT 255 (IT 218) > Select “No” for the first question.

“IT 255 (IT 218)” is the form to Claim for Home Energy System Equipment Credit.

viarmynurse55
Returning Member

mine too and NY state will not accept mail in taxes ugggg i have spent hours trying to correct wher is it what line

val

If you have an on-line version of Turbotax, you can't see lines so you have to go to the section "Other Tax Credits" then "Non-Refundable Credits".  After you get to that section, make sure those boxes are blank!  I had zeros in both boxes.  

rjmlakota

@dugan1979 

Bingo!!!  This worked for me!

Thanks!

RJ

Where is this asked for???

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

To access the Solar and Wind Energy Credit Carryover, please follow the steps below:

1. Open your return.
  2. Click on State on the left-hand side.
  3. Continue through the return.
  4. On the page, Take a look at New York credits and taxes, scroll down to Unused Solar Energy Credit Carryover from Prior Years.
  5. Delete the unused credit on the page Credit Carryover Earned in Prior Years and delete any zeros in the boxes. 

@Jordanc216

These solutions all start with "Open your return..."

BUT ... what if you decided (as I did) to simply go ahead and print the NY State return as a PDF? TurboTax insisted that I could not e-file because of this "solar energy credit" and I couldn't find it anywhere in the forms, so I figured it was OK just to print it and mail it in. Evidently, after this step, I cannot "open my return" again.

But, according to page two of the PDF, NY state does not allow me to mail a paper return; they don't tell me that until it's already too late to go back and correct the return in TurboTax. So now I cannot send my paper return to NY State, AND I cannot correct my return in TurboTax (they claim that I have already "filed"). Is there any solution? Do I just start over? Can I just start over?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies