Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

PattiF
Expert Alumni

TurboTax says I can't e-file state return because my return claims a solar and wind energy credit carryover. I don't have energy credit carryover.

Unfortunately, at this point, when you have already paid, clear and start doesn't work anymore. 

You can mail your return to New York when there is an issue such as this. The New York forms don't make it seem as though it is an option, but you can print and mail your return.

You can call TurboTax Live to have someone walk through it step by step if needed. TurboTax Live can help if needed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gcleach
Returning Member

TurboTax says I can't e-file state return because my return claims a solar and wind energy credit carryover. I don't have energy credit carryover.

I heard from a tax advisor that if you print the form directly from the NYS website and fill it in,  you can mail it. They are only accepting the forms with their own barcode.  

Thank you for the reply! I suspected NYS would accept a paper return.

In the CD/download verson, this worked for me.  Click "Forms" above.  Scroll Down to New York - Tax/Credit WKS.  If you scroll down on that form, you will see Solar and Wind Energy Carryover Credit Computation Smart Worksheet and a button that stays "Explain".  Click that button and a form will appear.  At the base of that form, there is a delete option.  Delete that form.  Make sure line 26 is blank as well after you delete the form. After this, it no longer produced the error for me. 

I tried your suggestion, but it did not work.

Charles T

You are a saint—thank you sir.

dknorz
Returning Member

I was able to correct the problem by going to forms  (top left flag )> New York forms > Tax/Credit Wks > scrolled to line 26 and deleted the number that was entered in the Solar and Wind Energy Credit carryover.   My form had the number 0.  on the line.  I deleted it and the E filing error was corrected.    

nice fix. 

Thank you - after several frustrating tries - your solution worked! And I'm filed!

rj12s
Returning Member

New York State: go to Nonrefundable Credits. Make sure there is no entry or zero in the blank to the right of "Solar and Wind Energy Credit Carryover." I had entered a zero and this is what resulted in the message "Unable to e-file...."

DawnC
Expert Alumni

To remove the solar and wind energy credit and carryover from your NY return in TurboTax Online, please follow the steps below:

1. Open your return.
  2. Click on State on the left-hand side.
  3. Click Edit next to New York.
  4. On the page, Take a look at New York credits and taxes and scroll down to Unused Solar Energy Credit Carryover.
  5. Delete any zeros that have been populated on the screen. 
  6. Click on Tax Tools on the left-hand side.
  7. Click on Tools.
  8. Click on Delete a Form.
  9. Delete Form IT-255 and the IT-255 credit worksheet.  
JalisaJ92

This worked for me, THANK YOU soo much!

Had same reason that NY State return could not be E-filed: Return claims a Solar and Wind Energy Credit carryover. Problem: on worksheet value for the credit was "0." (Zero and decimal point). To access that, I went to FORMS on the top menu,  and all active forms appeared on side menu. Scrolled down past Federal Forms to New York Forms, and further down to "Tax/Credit Wks" and on that worksheet, item 26 "SOLAR AND WIND ENERGY CREDIT CARRYOVER" showed zero and decimal point, which should have been okay mathematically but didn't work with TurboTax programming logic rules. Tried to delete the zero but that operation wasn't allowed. So I raised it to $1000, then deleted and backspaced until the line was BLANK. Went back to Review and as I went through, it worked okay. Success! E-filing was finally enabled!

zumoney515
Returning Member

What if I actually do need the form, I installed solar in NYS, saw the $5000 credit but when I want to e-file it, it kept on saying can't do it because return claim solar energy carry over. I don't have carry over from previous year, it's a newly installed solar. 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

To remove the solar and wind energy carryover from your NY return in TurboTax Online, please follow the steps below:

1. Open your return.
  2. Click on State on the left-hand side.
  3. Click Edit next to New York.
  4. On the page, Take a look at New York credits and taxes and scroll down to Unused Solar Energy Credit Carryover.
  5. Delete any zeros that have been populated on the screen.
  6. Go through the line above (Installed Solar Equipment in 2022) that to take your credit for the solar installation done in 2022.  @zumoney515 

katieb7

My solar wind credit is blank - no 0. - it even says no tax credit but I still cannot efile state. I do not have the forms in my list to delete. How do I move forward from here? Thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies