Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax says I can't e-file state return because my return claims a solar and wind energy credit carryover. I don't have energy credit carryover.

I just completed using TT Deluxe for my Federal and New York State taxes, and when TurboTax checked my state return, it says that my return claims a solar and wind energy credit carryover, so I can't e-file my state return.

I have never claimed a solar or wind energy credit - not in 2020 or any previous year. I don't have any such energy system.

TT does not tell me where this credit carryover appears in my return, and I can't find it. Where can I find it?

And how can I correct this error?

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

53 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

TurboTax says I can't e-file state return because my return claims a solar and wind energy credit carryover. I don't have energy credit carryover.

The solution is to go through answering the questions with any fictitious answer and then delete the form once you get to the end. It turns out several people discovered they ended up in this situation and this was the easiest fix.

See How to Delete the AZ form 310.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am using TT Deluxe on my Windows 10 computer, not TT Online, so there is no comparable Tools menu. The PC version has a Tools drop-down on the Menu bar, but it does not include a tool like the one you describe.

Is there an equivalent tool in the Windows version?

By the way, when used the help form to post my original question, I had to fill in what TT version (Deluxe) I was using and my device (Windows 10 PC), but apparently that info does not appear once the question is posted.

Wouldn't it be better to show that info, so responding Experts can know the context of the question?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Instead, you can click on FORMS mode, top right next to flags and notifications in the blue bar.

1. On the left side, scroll down to the undesired form.
  2. Click on the AZ 310.  It shows up on the majority of the screen.
  3. On the bottom left of the form area, the choices are print, delete, close form.
  4. Click delete form.
gcleach
Returning Member

I've got the same issue- but there is no AZ 310 form in my list of documents.  Boy, this is frustrating.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Did you add the fictitious information as Amy told you to above? Then there will be a form 310 that you can delete. This workaround has worked for everyone else.

gcleach
Returning Member

I believe Turbo Tax is throwing the wrong "error" as to why I cannot submit.  I have a QBI due to a side job, which is not allowed for NYS returns, because it impacts your AGI, which is the start point for the NYS tax form.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Sorry, Amy and I both read this as the Arizona form 310 problem and not a NYS problem.

Give me a bit and I will see what others have said about the NYS solar issue...

Unearth

What was the resolution to this?

Any update here? Not sure how to get around this still..

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Please see this discussion.

Note that the solution here assumes that you have the CD/download software and can get into Forms mode. I have not found anything for Online users.

I also do not know how the "0" got on the form - it may have been something entered on the NY interview, but I don't know what.

I found a different workaround accidentally. I entered my previous year's Adjusted Gross Income in the slot that asked for it as an option for completing the return, and whoosh, my eFiled return was accepted by NY State.

Odd, eh?!

Orrie

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Yes, very odd - I don't what last year's AGI has to do with a solar credit. But all's well that ends well.

Hey Orrie–

What slot are you referring to? Can you be a little more specific? Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies