Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chris B22
Returning Member

Turbo tax did not include all my children in the EIC

I have two children and they are listed as my dependents on the main 1040 page as well as under the Child tax credit form. However, Turbo tax only included one child under the Earned Income Credit form. Is there a reason Turbo Tax would not carry all my children's information for every form for which they were important and necessary. I caught this a week after filing and it could amount to a difference of almost 2,000 dollars.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

From reading your other posts, it seems the error may be in how you entered your child born in 2020.  When entering a child born during the tax year, you must select they lived with you the entire year.  If you did not do this, it could eliminate them from the credit.

You'll need to amend your return and mark the child as living with you the entire year.

• To avoid unnecessary delays, do not amend until your original return has been fully processed. 
  • You can e-file your 2020 amended federal tax return, but most states require amendments to be printed and filed by mail.
  • Allow 16 weeks for processing.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending.

You can check the status of your amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
chris B22
Returning Member

The weird thing is, my son who was just recently born is the child listen under the EIC but not my two year old daughter. I will wait to get my refund before amending my taxes and attempt to figure out what went wrong and where.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies